Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if my GT junior should be set up with a slight rake to the back so the rear looks to be squatting a little
Should the top of sills be level? Can anyone tell me the dimensions from front lower arm suspension pivot centre (Dogbone bolt centre) to floor and trailing arm chassis pivot centre to floor at the rear
Reason I’m asking is I have a slight dip on left front and I’m getting a little bump steer, car is on lowered springs and I just want to base line the set up before diving into dropped spindles etc

· Registered
18 Posts
I have always worked on having the sills level, this is, If I recall correctly, noted in the Alfaholics fitting instructions for their lowering kits. With that level it appear that the rear is squatting slightly.

· Premium Member
4,113 Posts
I have 205/60/15s so that will affect the height compared to different tire diameters. Pivot points?= Jacking points? I can't do that measurement now and didn't last summer. But I have many measurements to the 4 fender lips I can post. Eibach set for GTs from CA, 21.5mm rear shims, 3mm LF & 7mm RF shims, deep pan on the passenger side, shallow front spring pan on the drivers side. This is a LHD car and for reference the pans are about 10mm different in the depths.

· Premium Member
4,113 Posts
I have misplaced my notebook where I documented the four corner ride heights through the install of different springs and spacers. It will turn up eventually.
edit: found it.
Fender lip measurements, full tank no driver.
LF 25-1/2" RF 25-1/4" LR 23-15/16" RR 23-13/16"

· Registered
81 Posts
Yes, sills level with the floor. You can take a side photo of the car and draw lines on it in MS Paint like this-

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

You can see that the style line along the car droops down towards the rear making the car look like it's sitting down at the back even though it isn't. Also that the rear arches have a flat top where the front is radiused leading to people thinking that the front is too high. Then they go and drop the front to try to equalise the gaps and end up with this-

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Early cars (up to 67) had different shaped rear arches that exaggerate the "rear down" look-

Wheel Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car

· Premium Member
4,113 Posts
A few of us did that last year while adjusting with spacers. A grid comes up on photo editing and you can rotate the photo to make sure the wheels are level.
Wheel Tire Car Cloud Vehicle

· Premium Member
4,113 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for showing that with the lines. This is a good reference shot I am going to save.

It's something I've put in the fitting guides for all our suspension kits. I've actually used that picture of the blue car as an example of "how not to..."

It's easy to do too, all you need is a side on shot of the car. Brad suggested squaring the picture up but there's really no need, MS Paint let's you just connect two points with a line so as long as they look parallel that's good enough. I use the top edge of the wheel rim as that removes the tyres from the equation

· Registered
69 1750 GTV
14 Posts
It's something I've put in the fitting guides for all our suspension kits. I've actually used that picture of the blue car as an example of "how not to..."

It's easy to do too, all you need is a side on shot of the car. Brad suggested squaring the picture up but there's really no need, MS Paint let's you just connect two points with a line so as long as they look parallel that's good enough. I use the top edge of the wheel rim as that removes the tyres from the equation
Thanks Jim. That pic with the lines is exactly what I needed too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts