Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 33 has just developed a knocking noise when accelerating from rest. I've had a quick look at the suspension components and nothing appears to be loose or worn. Is there any common faults that would cause this problem?.

·
Registered
755 Posts
front or rear? Sometimes the rear trailing arms at the front move rearwards but the bush stays put, and the arm can rub on the body at the mount...probably develops due to hard braking.

·
Registered
102 Posts
my 33 does that too, it happens on my passenger's side front suspension. sometimes it knocks a lot, sometimes when accelerating or turning and sometimes u don't hear anything at all for a period of time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Front end

Sounds like it is coming from the drivers side front, but sound is deceiving it could be travelling from anywhere.
I thought it may have been the suspension arms moving on worn bushes but I can't easily move any of them by hand.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Might be cracks in the front suspension. One of mine makes this noise from one side. The other car has been fixed and no longer makes this noise.

·
Registered
755 Posts
front or rear? Sometimes the rear trailing arms at the front move rearwards but the bush stays put, and the arm can rub on the body at the mount...probably develops due to hard braking.
sorry to quote myself, but if it is what I suggested, you cant really tell easily without removing the suspension arms to see how the bushings are as they're tucked up a fair way. Or another way to see whats going on is to measure the wheel base, centre to centre on each side, if theres a discrepancy, a bush is out of place, or your car has been in a crash...lets hope not...

Any number of things can cause suspension noise, from loose wheel nuts, loose suspension bolts or worn bushes, start checking obvious things. Good luck.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Or another way to see whats going on is to measure the wheel base, centre to centre on each side, if theres a discrepancy, a bush is out of place, or your car has been in a crash...lets hope not...
I wouldn't go on that, I was taking this measurement on all four of the 33's we have had, and all show the passenger side to be shorter than the drivers, by almost 20mm! Or was it the other way around, i forget. But it would be interesting if someone else can do this on there cars and report. Not sure what the caster is doing.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I wouldn't go on that, I was taking this measurement on all four of the 33's we have had, and all show the passenger side to be shorter than the drivers, by almost 20mm! Or was it the other way around, i forget. But it would be interesting if someone else can do this on there cars and report. Not sure what the caster is doing.
I measured mine (after I pushed the bush in), Bens and Ed's and they are all spot on with the specs...both sides, did you make a running measurement?

·
Registered
612 Posts
alright im gonna go re measure my sisters car, maybe the wheels wernt straight ahead. :p
some cars (like my ute) have provisions to shorten the distance on the drivers side to compensate for the natural curve of the road. if someone has set your 33 up like that i dont think thats right. actually there is no provision for it without making mods.

spottie, getting back to the original question of knocking noise, have you eleiminated the exhaust hitting somewhere?
try to put your foot on the brake and heel the throttle at high idle at the same time, and then suddenly let the clutch up to release point, does it do the knock underneath too?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a good idea, I never considered the exhaust. I'll check tomorrow and I'll also measure the wheel base each side and report back. Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
222 Posts
my 33 does that too, it happens on my passenger's side front suspension. sometimes it knocks a lot, sometimes when accelerating or turning and sometimes u don't hear anything at all for a period of time.
Have you checked your cv joints / driveshafts? That was the problem in mine, a knocking / thumping on clutch takeup and braking.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright I measured the wheel base, was close enough to the same each side 2467mm. Tried the brake ,throttle, clutch thing, no noise . I'll check the cv's next , but they where o'k when I looked last.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Just an idea on the noise, take a look at the centre engine mount, the one that bolts to the bulkhead. Sometimes (especially on 1.7's) the bush shifts and the mount can hit or come close to the body, this could make a knock at the front.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts