Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sure Start won't stay applied.
I attached the cable but the spring is too strong and the cable cannot overcome it.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
128 Posts
My Sure Start won't stay applied.
I attached the cable but the spring is too strong and the cable cannot overcome it.

Any ideas?
Is the cable housing routed as straight as possible to the Spica pump? It may have got trapped around the intake ducts or fuel lines.
Also, the spring on sliding plunger can get ****ed and become stiff. Some grease may cure that. On my Sure-start I replaced the spring, lubed, and adjusted the cable travel, and it works great.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not installed it yet. I attached the cable to the Sure Start to test it.

How hard was replacing the spring?

·
Administrator
455 Posts
Hello

I had the same with installing my Sure start. The spring has to be fairly strong to move the lever inside the Pump.It will be always quiet hard to pull it.
So the sure start will move easier once installed in the pump.
you might have a spare pump handy and try, or just try with your pump.

With me the sure start works perfekt.

Greetings from Germany

Bernhard

Edit : For staying applied I had someone make the knob you see in the pictures below.With turning the knob you can arrest the sure Start in 4 different positions. I fitted the knop in the place where normally the throttle cable is installed.

@ John thank you again for giving me the sure start in the first place

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have not installed it yet. I attached the cable to the Sure Start to test it.

How hard was replacing the spring?
Once you install it, you'll find it much easier to pull, because you'll have a fixed surface (the top of the SPICA) to lever against.
The spring was fairly easy to replace; a small jeweler's screwdriver was needed to pop the tiny snap ring off the plunger. I replaced it with a stiffer spring I happened to have in my pile of junk. This is important, because the spring must assure the complete bottoming out of the adjustment screw inside the Thermostatic actuator well on the SPICA, thus enabling the operating lever to reach close to the full stop.
But now that we are in the summer time, I am not even using the Sure-Start control, as the engine starts and runs fairly easily without it.

VB

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Testing Today

Luckily, I have a bad pump (One of the pistons is seized) that I can install the Sure Start in.

I'll report my findings.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Insert tab "A" into slot "B".

I installed the Sure Start into the carcus of a pump that I have (A great learning tool, BTW). The knob will not remain pulled out, due to the strength of the spring on the plunger. I also tried it on the Spica currently in the car, with the same results.

There must be a middle ground where the plunger spring is strong enough to actuate the screw in the pump, but not so strong as to hod the plunger out all the time.

Maybe I should go shopping for springs......

·
Administrator
455 Posts
I installed the Sure Start into the carcus of a pump that I have (A great learning tool, BTW). The knob will not remain pulled out, due to the strength of the spring on the plunger. I also tried it on the Spica currently in the car, with the same results.

There must be a middle ground where the plunger spring is strong enough to actuate the screw in the pump, but not so strong as to hod the plunger out all the time.

Maybe I should go shopping for springs......
How does the plunger look like?

As I stated above get yourself another plunger.
With a weaker spring you will run the risk of not leaning out the mixture enough once you release the sure start, and it will not release fully.

Greetings from Germany

Bernhard

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps limiting the movement of the cable is the best approach.

Bicycle derailleur cables seem to mange the spring versus cable tension problem well.

Hmmm.......

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm looking at a different cable: one that is lockable when it is twisted.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have ordered a choke cable for a Mini (Old one) that is lockable by twisting the knob.

I'll report when it is installed.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have ordered a choke cable for a Mini (Old one) that is lockable by twisting the knob.

I'll report when it is installed.
That's what you're supposed to have. The Sure-Start will never work without a locking cable, unless you've got a co-driver in the other seat to lend a hand ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you guys know that on the alfetta style of cars,that all you have to do is pull the trottle handle unit out one bolt.From there you can drill out the rivet on the handle.Now you have two lever pulls with two cable camp.Works great.One for the trottle and one for the sure start.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's worth a try.
The lockable cable from a Mini turned out to be too short (A Mini part that is too small. Go figure).

Reactions: spiderJohnNH

·
Registered
620 Posts
Did you guys know that on the alfetta style of cars,that all you have to do is pull the trottle handle unit out one bolt.From there you can drill out the rivet on the handle.Now you have two lever pulls with two cable camp.Works great.One for the trottle and one for the sure start.
Not sure if this is the same thing but I have a 2 lever choke/idle system to the left of the steering wheel below the dash in my 69 gtv. I think this must be from a newer car. However, my sure-start is connected to one of the levers and works fine (stays where I put it). However, I have had the cable slip and when disconnected from the lever, it does not stay where I set it but wants to follow the spring tension.

John

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
There is another way to actuate a sure start. Wes Ingram sells a version with a lever to control the end of the cable. Here's the installation on my '76 Spider. Not too pretty, but functional. I can move the lever with my left foot when I have the 5 point seat belt harness fastened:

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts