Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone supplying these 2 parts. Red arrows. Same pair used front and rear. Used for late 1750, 2000 GTVs and late GTj.

These blocks prevent crushing of the over rider.

thanks

Ken
Front Bumper parts.JPG
Front Bumper parts.JPG

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure as I cannot find. Found the big ones that go bumper to body. If they are there please lead me to them.

Thanks

Ken

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
These wouldn’t be that hard to make a mold for and to cast in a semi-rigid urethane plastic (not the original phenolic). Also seem easy to make out of UHD plastic as the shape is relatively simple (albeit not ‘square’).

But I’m surprised the usual suppliers don’t have repros.

And I was thinking about the purpose of these spacers. Seems to
Me the only reason they exist is to let you crank down on the mounting bold without distorting the over rider. If you were judicious with torque you might not need them.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These wouldn’t be that hard to make a mold for and to cast in a semi-rigid urethane plastic (not the original phenolic). Also seem easy to make out of UHD plastic as the shape is relatively simple (albeit not ‘square’).

But I’m surprised the usual suppliers don’t have repros.

And I was thinking about the purpose of these spacers. Seems to
Me the only reason they exist is to let you crank down on the mounting bold without distorting the over rider. If you were judicious with torque you might not need them.
I think if you do not use them then the bumper over riders will loosen in time. Same with using wood after a series of expansion and shrinkage due to moisture.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
I've cut some from hardwood using a miter saw at all the weird angles but you need to have an original one to start with.
I as thinking exactly the same thing!
I’d make it out of bubimgamor some other ridiculously dense and durable wood, impregnate it with PEG to stabilize it and I’ll bet it would be fine as most of us don’t drive in the rain that often.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I made a set using 3M 04247. Its a urethane bumper repair material. I made a rough mold and sanded to fit. Looks like a perfect 3D print part. You could lay up some thick ABS and make them that way too

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a piece of composite (recycled Plastic) solid decking material that is just a little thicker than needed.

I have a good pair of originals (one marked 3 and one marked 4) so was able to copy the angles with a saw and will drill with a drill press. Not sure why there are 2 holes. Will paint black but maybe a Black decking is available.

As soon as I go into production a cheaper better product will hit the repro market.

Out of all the GTVs I have parted, these parts seldom have survived.

ken

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
“As soon as I go into production a cheaper better product will hit the repro market.”

Been there before with old BmW’s.

One of my is cracked but repairable. I suspect people crank down on them too hard or they crack when there is a light bumper tap with another car (NYC style parallel parking ). A hard but slightly elastic material would be more durable. Which is why wood would be good....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts