Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Different :rolleyes:

Curious as to how much squat they expect to get out of that rear suspension design. 2 minature opposing panhard rod, that when the try and swing through their arc will try and pull the chassis mounts together :confused:

I wonder if Greg will do a supercharger kit of that a high standard after seeing this installation :rolleyes:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well, that is a four link rear suspension, but with the pumpkin attached directly to the frame with two bolts at the top, that makes it a solid suspension. They will probably sheer after the first hard pass anyways.

The rear end looks like it was taken out of another drag car as the 4 link mounting points near the diff are not used on this one.

Strange, but then again I have seen worse.

Marcus

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think that this suspension has very little travel up-down and the bushings compensate for that arc movement of the two rods.

I agree that is not the best solution, but for 402 meters it's ok i guess.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Duk, This is really a lot different than the way I setup a supercharger. I am not saying it's wrong, in fact, it's the traditional way of doing it. However I see a few things I like to do differently.

1. I dislike Holley carbs. Even on American V8s I prefer the Carter AFB.
2. I don't like to mount the supercharger on the intake manifold because it makes intercooling nearly impossible.
3. I don't like draw through carb setups. With that design if you do intercool it you will have fuel flowing through the intercooler.
4. I prefer to drive a supercharger with a single 6 rib belt. If that won't work I would go to bigger pulleys on each end to keep the ratio the same and increase belt traction area, or I would go to an 8rib or more.
5. I like the more modern blowers. I can't tell what that is, but it looks like an old 2-71 or 3-71. Those were designed to be zero boost blowers (for evacuating exhaust on diesels) and are not very efficient when required to generate boost.

Don't get me wrong, that set up will work, and a lot of people do it that way, but it's not my way.

Greg Gordon,
hiperformancestore

·
Registered
750 Posts
Now wait a minute, was that the one in Mad Max or the other one in Road Warrior?

GV

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
id certainly LOVE to hear it run...definatly would fit in nicely in any of the mad max movies

that rearend is spooky

toss the holley put on a cart afb and enjoy

as for those style of blowers you re-gear them, cut and put in teflon blades on the roots and they become MONSTERS ...you "can" run them without the re-fit but you lose a considerable amount of posible boost and efficiancy

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Duk, This is really a lot different than the way I setup a supercharger. I am not saying it's wrong, in fact, it's the traditional way of doing it. However I see a few things I like to do differently.

1. I dislike Holley carbs. Even on American V8s I prefer the Carter AFB.
2. I don't like to mount the supercharger on the intake manifold because it makes intercooling nearly impossible.
3. I don't like draw through carb setups. With that design if you do intercool it you will have fuel flowing through the intercooler.
4. I prefer to drive a supercharger with a single 6 rib belt. If that won't work I would go to bigger pulleys on each end to keep the ratio the same and increase belt traction area, or I would go to an 8rib or more.
5. I like the more modern blowers. I can't tell what that is, but it looks like an old 2-71 or 3-71. Those were designed to be zero boost blowers (for evacuating exhaust on diesels) and are not very efficient when required to generate boost.

Don't get me wrong, that set up will work, and a lot of people do it that way, but it's not my way.

Greg Gordon,
hiperformancestore
Sorry Greg my last comment was suppose to be sarcastic (the lowest form of whit) :rolleyes:.
Your supercharger kits are areospace technollogy compared to that horse and cart set up ;).
And just because lots of people have been doing something 1 particular way, isn't an excuse for reusing bad design and poorly specified components :p

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
shOrtlife, I agree completely, There are quite a few companies that deal in those blowers and are experts at setting them up for high boost levels. However they can never equal the more modern designs. The current Roots have very good adiabatic numbers, the Eaton M62 has a maximum of 66%, certain versions of the Eaton TVS have a max of 76%. Most reworked GMC blowers are down in the 48% range.

The bigger problem is the volumetric efficiency curve. The blower is so larger that with any reasonable amount of boost on an Alfa 2.0 it will be operating in an area where the volumetric efficiency curve is very steep, this will result in relatively weak low and mid range boost.

Duk, sometimes I am a little slow. I got the sarcasm now :)

Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts