Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I'm cross posting this from the engine forum)

I have a recently purchased Euro 1300 Super with the thermostat screwed into the intake manifold. I am going through the cooling system - the radiator came out and went to be cleaned this morning, water pump squeaks, so it goes next, etc.

When I removed the upper hose I found a mess of corrosion that has frozen the screw in thermostat in place. I've tried channel lock pliers, and PB Blaster and a pipe wrench, but it ain't moving.

Does anyone have a suggestion on removing the thermostat? I'm considering a torch next, but hesitate to use one because the engine is still in the car, with the fuel lines in place.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
You can use a heat gun ( I got mine @ Harbor Freight for next to nothing! ) or even a good hair drier to expand the alum. part.
Randy

·
Premium Member
21,491 Posts
Try a big pipe wrench; in worst cases you may have to cut/chisel/drill it out. They can get really corroded.

Andrew

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem with the big pipe wrench is clearance to the cam cover and the edge of the fender. I was able to heat the manifold, but could not keep the wrench on the very narrow thermostat lip.

I'm getting a pair of vise-grip pliers with a large curved jaw today - I think that will work better than the cast iron pipe wrench.

If that does not work it's time for the hacksaw (gulp).

·
Registered
141 Posts
monkey around

I encountered this problem on my super and I was able to use a large monkey wrench that I got at a yard sale for a dollar. It has a 90 degree orientation of the jaw like the pipe wrench, but will fit on the shoulder of the thermostat for a good grip (hopefully yours isn't so chewed as to make this suggestion superfluous.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts