Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Seven, this is not a case of order of parts replacement. This a a big restoration, and EVERYTHING is coming off the car. What I am working on is determining what parts to replace (with what other parts) and what parts will be restored. What I AM trying to do, is ensure that after I put the car back together in the (distant) future, the car is close to working the way I want it to work. Once I rendered the car non-driveable, opportunities for experimentation, and on the road diagnosis go away.

I finally started cleaning up parts today (brakes, shifter, crossmembers, deDion, clutch). Now that the parts are clean, it looks like there is a lot of wear on the clutch fork where it contacts the pivot pin. It looks like I will have to replace the fork. Along with everybody's help, I think I am making progress on understanding why the clutch pedal was so stiff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The single plate was an UPGRADE on the double plate.You won't need a concours inspection on the clutch.Change to a normal single plate lessen you fiqure to go racing.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
I am only asking one simple, concise question: Who knows what this Sachs GMZ 215 clutch is?
Apparently no one.
The spring fingers on the pressure plate look really beefy to me,
Spring fingers look totally stock to me.
I am trying to determine if this Sachs clutch is the standard OE clutch or equivalent. If this is some HP clutch upgrade, maybe that would account for the high pedal effort.
I've being buying Alfa parts, and studying Alfa parts catalogs since the MID 1990's. Never saw a listing for for a heavy duty or High Output clutch. Very much suspect that this is an OEM clutch with some internal failure.

I gather from the discussion that this is a twin disc clutch? But I can't see that from the way the picture is taken. Can you take a picture showing the Thowout bearing from the side?

Hope this was helpful

·
Registered
466 Posts
On mine it was the hose...As others above have said definitely start cheapest first and that's the hose. I drove for a couple of years with a stiff, slow releasing pedal before I replaced the hose. Mine was stiff enough that when I dropped the clutch, it didnt 'drop' it just sort of engaged, also made my feet sore from pushing so hard

21 - 26 of 26 Posts