Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driver side seat in my '72 Super is currently stuck in the rear most position and the seat will not move forward. Looking under the seat it is clear that the runner under the door side of the seat is bent toward the floor at the back.

I imagine the only fix is getting the seat out and trying to bend the runner flat again but do I need to slide the seat forward to get to bolts at the back of the tracks? Is the way to get the seat out by taking the tracks out. If some one has advice or knows of a thread that would be helpful it would be much appreciated.

I read the current "Giulia Super Seat" thread but that sounds like I different set-up.

·
Premium Member
21,694 Posts
Yours probably has two rails on the floor for each seat. Early ones have three total rails, the middle one on the tunnel, shared by both seats.
Yours should have an 8mm [likely] Allen screw front and back on each rail, at the end. Take them both out of one end, then do what you can to reveal the screws at the other end and take them out. Might take some beating on the seat, rail, etc. If nothing else, if you can see the screw, drill it out, or sawzall it, as long as you keep the nutplate in the floor intact. Or figure out how to straighten the rail to get more travel. No simple answers here depending on how messed up it is.

Andrew

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andrew. Got the seat out and straightened the rail and the seat travels fine now.

I saw a disk rolling in the rail on the tunnel side of the seat but there was not a disk in the door side rail. Should there be a disk on each side? And, there were stops for seat travel in the rail on the tunnel side and not on the door side. Does this sound right?

·
Premium Member
21,694 Posts
Early three-track cars have little ball bearings in the outer tracks to support the weight and facilitate movement. I don't have any four-track seats myself; my 71 has race seats. But if they're like Berlinas, which I'd guess they are, yes, the vertical disk is in there, maybe two per track? Not sure how many. And seems to me they are wood?

I don't think it matters where the stop is. One per seat is enough to keep it from running out the back. If they were both the same, sure, fine.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
The driver side seat in my '72 Super is currently stuck in the rear most position and the seat will not move forward. Looking under the seat it is clear that the runner under the door side of the seat is bent toward the floor at the back.

I imagine the only fix is getting the seat out and trying to bend the runner flat again but do I need to slide the seat forward to get to bolts at the back of the tracks? Is the way to get the seat out by taking the tracks out. If some one has advice or knows of a thread that would be helpful it would be much appreciated.

I read the current "Giulia Super Seat" thread but that sounds like I different set-up.
Hello,

I had this same bending problem with my 1969 Super's driver seat, which I use in the full rearward position. I took it out and straightened it, welded on a gusset, but it soon bent again. (1st pic). I then straightened it again and welded on a box section, cut from a square tube. As far as I know that fixed it. BTW I probably left the first gusset in place.

The rollers are wood and I think there are 2 per rail, so 4 per seat. Similar rollers are found in other seat track systems such as in the 1750 GTV

Good Luck

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
Oldsalt...Mine is a '72... Got the little wood wheels and see how they work.. Has anyone moved the pin in the rail back for more legroom or is there is a better way to put a "stop" on the seat rail sliding back. I see how the pin creates a ramp and the stop for the wood wheels but I would like anything I can get for legroom.. I could move the pin an inch back or so or screw a metal stop on . What say you guys?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts