Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone attempt compressing the hood prop spring and lived to talk about it? This thing looks like a serious injury waiting to happen. Before I go to the trouble of fabricating a tool to compress this thing safely I'm hoping that someone can give direction.

It looks like the the spring has to be compressed from 30" to about 15" inches in order to insert the spacer tube into the slot. As an alternative, I suppose I could compress it just past the slot opening and insert a tube without the flair and then flair the ends after the fact...

IMAG0756 (640x347).jpg

IMAG0759 (640x362).jpg

·
Premium Member
5,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well I guess I answered my own question:

Looking at the prop tube there is enlarged opening at the bottom of the slot that I presume is used to allow one to insert the flanged tube. But there is no way I'm capable or willing to compress that spring that far.

IMAG0758 (640x362).jpg

So we ended up grinding flats on one end of the flanged tube so that it could be inserted into the top of the slot and not need to compress the spring as far.

We took a couple of thin blade screwdrivers and inserted one through the slot and into the coil.

IMAG0762 (640x321).jpg

Then we pulled down as far as we could and inserted the second screw driver at the top of the slot.

IMAG0761 (640x362).jpg

Next we removed the lower screw driver and repeated the process until the coil cleared the top of the slot enough that we were able slide the flanged tube into position. We turned the flange 90 degrees to "lock" it in position.

IMAG0760 (551x640).jpg

Notes:

(1) In the pictures above the flanged tube was already inserted - I wasn't about to remove it for the sake of the pictures!

(2) This is a two man job which took about all my strength to compress the spring meaning that there is a whole lot of stored energy that could release with extreme prejudice.

(3) Don't try this unless you have an assistant and are willing to be exposed to a dangerous process.

(4) Don't blame me if something goes wrong!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts