Alfa Romeo Forums banner
601 - 620 of 629 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #601 ·
Yes, Sabots SoCal, El Toros NorCal.
We took our Sabot to Wichita, sailed it on a lake/reservoir. I'd guess not many others in that state at that time (1965).
Andrew

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Yeah, this would have been late 60s - I was a kid. They let me take out someone's spare boat to putz around in. A squall came up, big whitecaps. I hung on for dear life trying to sheet it in, but it eventually just stalls with weather helm and you're dragging the rudder. There was dry rot on the tiller / rudder head, and it sheared off in my hand! I was swamped and drifting, a motorboat finally came and got me. The owner was kind of pissed I had broken his boat, but I didn't rot his tiller. He raced with my dad every wednesday night beer can racing. 10 year old me felt bad for a long time.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Between John and me, who live a couple blocks apart, we have four Giulias on hand at the moment. We got them all together just now.
Green car, my Super. Blue car, John's backdated Nuova 1300, going to LA later this week. Nice red car, John's Super just arrived from NL, bought off BaT. Lesser red car, 93-YO guy's who has me work on it for him. I did the engine, brakes, driveshaft in 2019-2020, great driver, which had sat for decades. He called to ask if there should be steam coming out of the defroster vents? No, sounds like a heater problem. So he drove it up from the Peninsula yesterday and I'm looking into it. We gathered all the cars and took some pics. Even in Berkeley, people noticed.
Andrew
I'm just now reading back through this long thread, and I am envious of living in a place littered with cool old Alfas! And very impressed with all the work you've done. I always thought I'd fit in in a Berkeley. Way out of my budget these days!

And this shot has me re-excited to get my Duetto put back together!
Automotive parking light Plant Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
23,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #604 ·
You do see Alfas in daily use around here. I drive my Super every day, Conrad's wife drives their Colli, Conrad his Multipla, various others around. My daughter's math teacher in Jr High has a black TI, parks near us every day.

That Duetto was a long strange trip, as was the owner. Now back in Lake County, she drove it home. It was a nice driver once I worked through all the stuff from sitting for decades.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Speaking of old Fiats, I’d love to have an early Fiat 500 for every day (not sure that would work in the winter here). Minimal transportation.

·
Premium Member
23,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #606 ·
I've worked on a couple at Conrad's and built various 600 and 850s engines for him and myself over the years. 500s are the essence of minimal, yes. Pretty amazing little cars but to me a bit beneath a practical limit of actual utility, though I do see folks putting around in them.

Keeping it totally off track, my head and my eyes were in disagreement about the Ford. I've been talking to a guy who rebuilds Autolite carbs, which this has, and I finally realized why he kept looking at my pics and calling it a four-barrel. Because it is a four barrel. Somehow I had "decided" in my head that the car was a two-barrel, based on nothing. I even looked at the car and said, yep, two-barrel. D'oh. It's an Autolite 4100 with original Ford four-barrel manifold. This car just keeps amazing me. I think it is 1 of 1 in terms of spec. And after peeking underneath, the power brakes are drum, not disk. Disappointing but not unexpected.
Man, what a machine. Period American cars, the options list just never ended, you could pick and choose til the cows came home.
Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
You should. Please do. I have some friends here who think they should do an intervention, show up Saturday to get the suspension back on or the carbs rebuilt. ARS - Alfa Rescue Society Union Local 105.

I’m so busy with work work that I feel guilty and can’t relax in the garage ...but something needs to happen!

·
Premium Member
23,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #609 ·
Time and money are on opposite sides of a teeter totter, in my view, working to find some kind of balance. I don't know how many Alfa shops in your area. Karen in Lakewood if she's still wrenching.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I agree.

I’m in East Cascadia now, often called western Montana (transplant from Seattle). There’s a cool shop here that can do anything with any old car, Blower Bentleys or old trucks, but they work only on the owners varied collection 3 out of 4 weeks.

I have to do this myself. Besides, it’s up on jacks with no suspension.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
A 3-speed manual American station wagon in 1968 has got to be an unusual beast. Is it a column shift? My dad's '73 302 Bronco was 3 speed column shift.

·
Premium Member
23,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #612 ·
Yes, with a bench seat I bet you couldn't get floor shift except special order. There's a wagon sold on BAT some time ago, had a 427, bucket Galaxie seats and a four-speed. One of one probably.

But 302, column shift, drum brakes, four barrel, seats 10? What a combo.

Most manual Broncos were column shift when new. I had one. Darty little mofo at speed with that short wheelbase.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Yeah Broncos were terrible on the highway, sloppy steering, darting around, sketchy brakes. The flat windshield meant it would nearly stop if you let off the gas. My dad spun ours on a Colorado pass with patchy ice - not covered enough to be in 4WD, one rear wheel had traction, and into the snowbank we went, backwards. Luckily the snowplows leave a big wall of snow and we didn't roll down the mountain.

In HS, I bought a completely beat up '70 Bronco, which had been rolled in Alaska and had 5 cylinders still functioning. That's how I learned to first swap an engine. Somebody had converted it to a floor shifter, with a really strong spring so it would CLANK when you shifted up to 2nd.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
When I was taking machine shop training back in the early 1970's, one of the instructors had a muscle-car-ish Buick with a 3-on-the-column. I found both concepts a little odd, but most of the students thought the slightly older instructor was very cool. And speaking of Andrew's Ford, that carburetor is almost as big a whole Fiat 600 engine!

·
Premium Member
23,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #616 ·
The carb is a 4100 1.08, which means four barrels at 1.08" each. 27.43mm x 4, same area as a Giulietta Veloce. And with a two-barrel, half the area of a Veloce, about the same as a Normale.

My first Alfa was a Giulia TI, five-speed column and very sloppy. Easy not to know where you were.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Has this been posted before? It's fantastic - construction of the new factory, and lots of footage of Giulia sedans in various states of brand new. All in Italian. And stylish music.

·
Premium Member
23,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #618 ·
You should get Patrick Dasse's Giulia book and Arese book if you don't have them.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I'll look into those, thanks!

This is so fun - I get Alfas and construction in one film. I get an elegant Italian narrator. The music.
Rows of Sedans, old Giuietta sedans (?), Sprints, Spiders.... I've never seen so many white sedans in one place. 2600 Spiders at 1:53. Concrete pouring, steel stamping! A wild Sprint Speciale appears and the guy slams the door! What are all those Renaults doing on the truck?

At 13:18 - "The Birth of an Automobile" when they toss some floppy front floor pans and a tunnel onto a jig, clamp them down, and start welding. Fantastic. 14:51, a G Sedan nose goes on in one piece. 14:51, we start pounding on them with various sized hammers. 14:55 - a sledge will make this fit, no problem!

16:10 - "The Dance of the Giulias"

18:33 - guys spraying paint every which way, no masks. But I didn't know they were using robotic painting by the mid-60s. (Have you ever seen the video of the Mustang plant in '65, maskless painters breathing clouds of paint...while smoking a cig)

19:33 - hot lunch!

There don't appear to be any women building Alfas. Look up mid-60s Volvo plant - there were quite a few on the line.

ahh, motore at 24:55.... the heart.

Then we check them for leaks and run them full blast on a dyno....with no hold-down straps? They must be hidden from the camera.

Were 90% of sedans white? It appears so here!

Then a bunch of F1 hopefuls take them out for a thrashing. At 27:05, a demonstration of non-limited slip rear end.

We wrap up with some fantastic vintage racing footage with iconic names and famous tracks, including I believe early Targa Florio footage (?) (and bad sound dubbing).

601 - 620 of 629 Posts