Alfa Romeo Forums banner

241 - 244 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Andrew, Thanks for the lead. I went there for an estimate yesterday. Good price - I'm going with it. Tony in Oakland.
Andrew, Got my Spider back - Very good, not great job for $3500 exterior only. There were two tricky small dents and losta little dings all over. They got most, but what can I expect for the price? Paint is very nice and Mohammad is a very nice guy who said to bring my car back if there were any problems. He's been in business there since 1980. I would recommend this shop - thanks for the lead. I was at the Alameda Italian Day and hoped to meet you, but didn't see the green Super. When is the next cars and coffee or other local event? BTW, how do you remove polishing compound residue? Tony in Oakland

·
Premium Member
21,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
I was there with my Super and Junior Z, left with some scooter guys for lunch, so maybe we didn't overlap.
I took my car back for a couple buff-ups for the same thing, they just used some polish right then and it looked much better.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Apropos of nothing as to Alfas, we had Tiger for Thanksgiving in addition to turkey. I've had this 66 Mk1A Tiger for 4.5 years, got it as a failed restoration, last on the road 1977. Lots to say about it, and four and a half years is several eternities for me on a project, but there have been many ups and downs and at times I was ready to throw in the towel, sell it for what I could get and move on. Well, it's finally a running driving car, registered and insured. My son is in town from Seattle and we took it out yesterday. He has a V8 M5, my wife has a V8 M3, I have a V8 F250, all with manual trans, so a V8 Tiger with four-speed Toploader fits right in.
I have done essentially everything on this car except replace the heater. Yes that top looks ridiculous, but I put it on to check the fit of the frame and sort out its hardware before taking it to the top shop in Oakland for new material. This car has its original 260, I put on an Edelbrock manifold as many had after they left the dealer and a small four-barrel, plus a Comp Cams mild cam. It really doesn't need more power. Stock was 164 and something over 200 in torque, I'd guess this car has maybe 180? It has a CR gearbox and stock 2.88 rear axle and I added 14" Cosmic wheels I got from APE off a GTV. So its gearing is very long. You never really need to shift in town, even with a 4700 rpm redline on the Fairlane engine. It's very fun, but corners and braking? It's no Alfa.
Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Back to the 91-year-old's Super. Got the engine done, run, and back in. It's not all hooked up yet, but a couple more hours and it'll be there. The car came with two blocks, two heads, manifolds, etc. The 00536 block in it had a few issues though I knew it ran. The extra 00502 block had been rebuilt about 1986, not that well, and was all sticky from sitting. I tore it down, decided to use it. New P&Ls, reground crank, new bearings all came with it. A few issues, the biggest of which was that two rods were 10 grams heavy than the other two. Also, that the head in the car had very poor valve seats. The other head was better so Norman went with it. Alas, it was cut .060", so I had to fit n trim the pistons a couple times to get the head, pistons, and valves all to coexist. All good. Ran the engine on my test stand yesterday, 80 lbs oil pressure, 160 compression at slow starter speed. So it's back in the car, connecting stuff.

Andrew

Attachments

241 - 244 of 244 Posts