Alfa Romeo Forums banner

221 - 233 of 233 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
Nice! I rescued a 74 Spider over the past year and really enjoyed it. Pretty much everything rubber on it was bad. I figured out the center support was bad on the first freeway jaunt.

Hey, if you pull a chunk out of the other side of the donut maybe it will balance out!

·
Premium Member
21,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #222 (Edited)
Brownie II proves to be a very solid car. Put in a good, if not new, actuator, sorted the air pump's mounts, set the valve clearances, put it all back together, runs like a champ. Dialed in the Spica as best I could, removed the two-way banjo cat, bolted on a 2001-era three-way Calif cat off a Bosch Spider and said, well, I've got to smog it sometime so let's give it a whirl. I was expecting to get a list of things to adjust/change. There's a good smog guy in town, sympathetic foot, understands combustion and the smog dyno and knows how to get best results legally. We put it on the scope and he ran it a bit, said the CO is a high (2.2% against a standard of 2.0) but everything else is good. Can you adjust the CO? Sure I can. Took off half a turn on the FCS, ran it again. CO now .14%, HC and NOx didn't come up much and the dang thing passed on the first try; took 20 minutes. Numbers are all midway in their ranges. Hot dang!

So I'm driving it around, sorting this and that. Took it on the freeway for the first time Saturday to help a friend build a 1750 for his GTV. At freeway speed the 30-year-old tires were unbelievably rough. Bit the bullet and changed for some newer 185/70-14s I had lying around. Better but not perfect. Long story short, the reason the car came with two extra BWAs is that two on the car are bent. Changed them out and all good now. It's a great car; put 100 miles on it yesterday to go look at a Spider project near SFO. For now I'm basking in the 70s vibe of the color. Next stop, macramé, hanging plants, fern bars, leisure suits!

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
I must be getting old, I hated the brown of the 74 Valiant I drove through high school. Now I think a deep, glossy brown is quite nice. Glad to see you rescuing another one!

·
Premium Member
21,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
There was a stunning 74 911 in mostly original brown paint on BaT a few weeks ago. Loved it, went for $70,000. Embrace the legacy of your decade! (Carlsbad High class of 77.)
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Another day, another trip to SFO. My wife and daughter got back from Hanoi/Tokyo/Hong Kong yesterday AM, my daughter had a 12-hour layover til her flight to DC. Took her back to SFO last night in Brownie II with her "medium" size suitcase that was too big to close the trunk. So we went all Berkeley Hillbillies and tied the trunk lid down. Nice exhaust smell on the way.

Here she and the Spider are, ready to dash into United for a transcon flight. Brownie II abides.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Andrew...just started at the beginning and followed to latest post.....very entertaining and useful...thank you.

·
Premium Member
21,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Thanks. I know I can run far afield on this thread from strictly "painting my Super." But what the heck. Super is, amazingly, in the garage for the first time in my 22 years of ownership when not required for repair while I rack up miles on Brownie II.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
So back to running far afield in a different but familiar direction. Here's Gene (91-year-old)'s red Super back for more. To refresh, Gene and his son got this car some years ago from Oregon. Drove it, took the head off, some years pass and his son moves away, Gene finds me on the BB living 40 miles away, to put it back together. So I put the head on, got it running, did the brakes and front end sufficient to be safe. Cylinder 1 had 40 lbs compression no matter what. Head had been tested so it was rings. I told Gene to drive it, see if it freed up over time. It didn't, and at 91, of course he wants it to be faster! So we talked, after my last project got out of the way I said I'd take it back to rebuild the engine.

Saturday I went to San Mateo, drove it home. If you keep the revs up #1 helps out a bit, so it does feel like it's running on four. If you piddle around town #1 gas-fouls and you've got a three-cylinder Giulia Super. Bombed across the San Mateo Bridge and up 880 to Oakland, no problem. Cruised 65, everyone stared because, you know, it's a very red Super. Got it into my garage Sunday, still has 40 lbs compression on #1, so got the engine out and the head off. I had planned to do a rebuild on this block, an 00536, but Gene revealed, which I hadn't known, the car came with a rebuilt 00502 block, so I'll look at both and see which is best. I'm not going to trust the unknown rebuild without at least looking inside. Here it is with my Super, mangia la lardo.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Engine is 100% torn down. Only real issue is that all three rings on #1 are broken, including the oil ring. Never seen that before. No wonder no compression or oil control. Rest of engine is not bad, if old. Crank is 0/0, has been rebuilt before because it has Clevite bearings (Vandervell would have been from new). Assembly and whatnot looked good, crank seems good. Bearings are heavily worn but I think that's just age. Oil pressure was 60-70 at running speed. Clutch is from August 1977, so presuming that was when it was last attended to. Disk is thin but not below minimum. I will replace.
Going to pick up the rebuild 00502 block tomorrow then tear it down, not knowing anything about it.
Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
I have to tear down the other engine, and word just came up of a previously built 1600 around, not needed when superseded by a 2000. So various avenues. Yes, I keep moving. Tearing down is really not that involved.
Andrew

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
Years and years ago when I over revved my Sud race engine, all the rings were broken ...

Pete

·
Premium Member
21,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
The GTV 2000 I rebuild a couple months ago had the top ring broken on three pistons. Compression remained good. This one, all three on one, in many pieces. I just wonder why the difference, other than just "that's how it goes" with failures.
Andrew

221 - 233 of 233 Posts