Alfa Romeo Forums banner

181 - 200 of 227 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
I fix Alfas daily behind my 1922 house in Berkeley, and so far no one's complained, but I also don't set off fireworks or climb on the roof!
We bought our house in 1997, its value now many times what it was then, but this was never a marginal neighborhood. And it's an easy commute to SF, highest cost of living in the US last I heard. We wouldn't be buying here now, believe me.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Thanks for that tip Andrew, I have the window felts for mine but was deathly afraid of bending that trim so I have been ignoring it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
21,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
So here it is in the paint shop on Friday. Hoping for a good result, I had these guys paint a Berlina for me almost 20 years ago. They matched the Alfa paint code, turns out will be two-stage paint rather than one stage. Fair enough.
Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I've gone back and forth on the paint issue. Since most of my Super's paint is oem single stage enamel, I've thought a lot about finding someone who can do some spot repairs with single-stage. I was cautioned about two stage paint because it wouldn't match original enamel's orange-peal. My 47 year old original paint, however, has been compounded so many times that there really isn't much orange-peal in the finish to worry about. After talking to a couple of Alfa restorers/painters here in the BB I've concluded that doing the spot repairs with two-stage will work well. I think what's important is to let the guy doing the work use the materials he's most familiar with.

Re: fireworks. I continue to be surprised at the numbers of now quite upright and responsible people who fondly remember their back-in-the-day-not-entirely-legal adventures up on ZAP Motor's roof while the fireworks were going off. You had to be there.

·
Premium Member
21,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Back from paint yesterday. This is a mid level shop, better than Miracle but not a high end place. They can work to a price. I've seen both poor work and very good work from them. I wanted a good, not great, job and they seem to have delivered. This is water-based two-stage, they matched the color from the AR209 code. Looks right to me. Originally was going to be single stage but their suppliers couldn't deliver that color in Calif, so two-stage it is. They did a Berlina for me 20 years ago that I was "eh" about; this work is better, at least before it starts shrinking.

A few small rust fixes, filled in the antennae hole, prime, sand, paint. Took about 10 days. Now reassembling.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Looks good Andrew. I have some road-rash I need to fix. I'm hoping to find a shop that can blend into the original factory enamel. I compounded the trunk the other day and, wow, the original 47 year old rosso-amaranto showed back up!

·
Premium Member
21,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
This is the fourth full paint I know of on this car if you include the orig paint. Had been painted already when I got it in 1997, poor braze/bondo repair to the LF fender, some kind of front ender. Also RR door had the heartbreak of psoriasis. Then I fully painted in 2004, partly painted in 2014, fully painted in 2019.

Amazed me when he typed AR209 into the dedicated body shop paint computer system and it came up with a match. It took pulling teeth to work out, and no matches, when we typed in the Rootes 86 paint code for my Tiger. Some are included, some aren't.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Andrew,

Looks good!

Will you install the windshield and rear window yourself, or do you have a glass guy come do it?

Logan

·
Premium Member
21,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #192 (Edited)
I forgot I had this. My car not long after I got it, about 1998, with another scabby super, in Alameda. This is the paint that was on my car when I got it. Sold new in Berkeley, never been outside the Bay Area, far as I know. I know almost all the previous 8-10 owners, and it lived when new about 2 miles from my house up in the Berkeley hills, so says one of my neighbors, who remembers its UAW license plate. First owner bought a GTA also shortly before.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
I took the glass out myself. Both front and rear rubbers are from 1997, so it seemed time. I had a new front and got a new rear from Jon Norman. I just sliced the rubber from the inside awith a box cutter (carefully) and pulled the glass out. Takes minutes. On the way back in, Larry Jr of APE is pretty good at this and he and I will do it via the crossed rope method, maybe next week. Be careful, don't bend the trim on removal; it crazes.

I'm recovering the rear package shelf, out at upholstery now. Never been done, material was all twisted and warped. Dash and headliner done in 1998, they're fine.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
A younger cousin came a' callin' Saturday. Owner of this late 67 Super found me through the BB, needs to get the head back on and see how it runs. He and his son took it on as a project last year, life intervened and they couldn't finish it. So I'll get a head on it and see how it works. Had no history on the car before the owner contacted me in May. Came to CA from OR last year sometime.

Very solid car, minor typical rust, but it's as cars were in the old days, not restored, not hopped up. Pirelli P3 tires attest to how long since it's been on the road. Engine is a late 1600 GTV, not original Super engine. I think car was originally white, but will do more digging. Folks seem to like the red.

My car is about half back together after paint. Have a NOS rear bumper that just went on. Glass is the biggee before I can drive it.
Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
I think I remember seeing that Super for sale up here.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
21,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
It seemed familiar to me too, but I didn't have any VIN or other on it til now .
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #197 (Edited)
Progress on all Super fronts. Larry Jr of APE came over Saturday, we got the glass back into my Super after paint. He's pretty experienced at this, I've done it by I'm no expert. Reused my old rear glass with a new gasket from Jon Norman. Front glass was NOS from AFRA, 1996, along with a NOS Alfa gasket that was fine. Got the old trim out, cleaned, lubed everything with Vaseline, worked both of them from top down (that is, insert the top first, then use the crossed cord method to feed the gasket onto the body lip, all the way around). Took maybe 90 minutes, some pushing, finessing, wiggling, got 'em both in and we were happy. Cleaned all the goo up, finished putting the wipers and dash trim back, all done. Car is back on the road.

The red car, here it is with the 91-YO owner. I was mistaken on when he bought it; more like 5-10 years ago. Gas in the car smells nasssssssssssssty but it runs on it, diluted with some new. Got the head on, got it running Saturday afternoon. Runs on all four, drive reasonably well for a car that's been off the road for many years, but #1 has low compression. Comes up with some oil in the cylinder, so seems like rings. Put in some Marvel oil to see if that frees anything up. For now will do some more exploring, but #1 is so low that it's not viable to drive, I don't think, without a rebuild. Brakes work but are wooden. I drove it 'round the neighborhood but I wouldn't go out into the real world. But still, it's pretty remarkable.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Did you put the glass in with the window trim installed or install it later? I've always inexpertly assumed that putting the gasket in and then installing the trim isn't advisable because of the possibility of bent, unobtanium trim. But then a few months ago Yachtman showed a special install tool that apparently makes that relatively easy. And then, and then, Bulletproof/Scott moves to town with his Italian restored Jr. and his shop had installed the trim after fitting the gasket . . . I've got new front glass for my Super but I've been holding off until I learn more about the install.

·
Premium Member
21,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
1. Remove old glass as complete unit by cutting the gasket with a box cutter. Go carefully, don't cut headliner. Just pull it out of the opening. This assumes you'll use a new gasket.
2. Off the car, set glass on something and work, or cut, gasket off glass.
3. With gasket removed, just pull trim out. Bend rubber to open trough and it comes right out. Don't bend it! Finish will craze if you do.
4. Clean up, etc.
5. Put new gasket on glass. Center it, get it happily in place. You can stretch and bunch as needed to make it happy.
6. Lube gasket and trim (Vaseline, silicone spray, your special blend), press trim into gasket by hand, working around. Corners can be tricky. Be patient, don't hit or bend trim.
7. Further lube gasket and body lip, put lubed cord in gasket trough, insert top of glass in body.
8. One [wo]man inside, one out, push glass up and in, center it, start pulling rope to lift gasket edge over body lip. Work slowly carefully across the top, down each side, then across the bottom. Outside person pushes in/up/sideways as needed. Use a not-sharp 90* pick of some kind to help guide gasket onto body lip.
9. Clean up Vaseline or spray lube. Seal further if so inclined with mastic, silicone, whatever.

Dot's it mon.
Andrew

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Thanks, Andrew. I'm moving from relative to specific ignorance on this topic. :balloon: Oh, yeah. How did the repaint turn out?

181 - 200 of 227 Posts