Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the thread about mounting dual Bendix pumps on a GTA. The Giulietta Veloce and 101 Veloces all came with mounting plates for Bendix pumps. My question is where do you mount a Bendix pump on a Giulia Super if you were to bypass the original mechanical pump? Is there room under the body for a pump with out interfering with the rear axle?

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I was reading the thread about mounting dual Bendix pumps on a GTA. The Giulietta Veloce and 101 Veloces all came with mounting plates for Bendix pumps. My question is where do you mount a Bendix pump on a Giulia Super if you were to bypass the original mechanical pump? Is there room under the body for a pump with out interfering with the rear axle?
I don't know where the TI Super mounted it's single Bendix pump, but one could easily mount a Bendix/facet/purolator pump on a Super in the same location as on the GTAs, which can be seen in the above mentioned thread.

FWIW

Ken

·
Registered
102 Posts
Pump mounting

I have two versions for you that is good way to add electric pump to the super.

When i bought the car the pump was installed on the outside of the spare wheel well, on forward side easy to connect to the excisting fuel lines and get wiring from the front (please use a relay so the pump stops when the engine does)

The pump broke so I made a new plate and mounted the pump inside the wheel well instead, cons is that I do not carry a spare wheel, but the battery is going beside the pump so I do not mind that.

Yes, just plug the old fuel pump mounting, I used a rubber gasket and a aluminium plate and origanal screws.

Good luck

Fredrik

PS On the GTA the pump is resting on under the back seat under the car in that little well that tha chassie has DS

·
Registered
372 Posts
Mine is located forward of the passenger side rear tire area. The attached pics may help--the orientation is a bit funky but you can eyeball the location from them.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! That is a good location for a fuel pump. This is along the lines of what I was thinking about. :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Somewhat old thread but figured I'd piggy back on it for this....

The electric (Facet model) fuel pump on my '66 Super stopped working--it generates a very loud noise but no fuel is pumped through. It has been getting progressively noisier so I figured it was only a matter of time before it went.

Anyway, I have ordered a replacement. Question: what is the preferred in-line fuel filter situation for this set-up? Should there be an in-line fuel filter between the tank and pump (there is not one currently)? Seems like that would be a good thing to have. If so, any recommendations on type to use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
The Facet pump has a huge filter built into the bottom of it. Did you remove the bottom cover and check to see if the filter is clogged ??

·
Registered
372 Posts
No, but will take a look next weekend. Does this pump filter negate the need for a separate in-line filter between the tank and pump?

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
You can add another filter, but it will do little good......
One of the nice features of the Bendix/Facet pump is the washable filter. No need to replace it.
One reason that the Facet may be making noise is that it is straining to get fuel past the junk in the filter. Usually these work until they stop.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
No, but will take a look next weekend. Does this pump filter negate the need for a separate in-line filter between the tank and pump?
Hi, Do you not have a FISPA Glass bowled Filter/Regulator in your engine bay right side? The GTAs and the TI Supers which used the bendix pumps (which do have pourous metal filter), also had the FISPA unit.

FWIW

Ken

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
All of the Giulias had the Fispa filter near the carbs.....

·
Registered
372 Posts
I do have the glass fuel filter in the engine compartment. Sounds like I can leave the configuration at the fuel pump as it is now (no separate filter in-line between the tank and pump).

I'll take a closer look at the existing pump and clean out the filter to see if that has any affect. I'm not against installing a new pump. I'm pretty certain the existing pump was installed when a PO swapped out the 1600 engine and replaced it with a 1750. That was quite a ways back.

Thanks for the insight into all this.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
All of the Giulias had the Fispa filter near the carbs.....
My point is, all the rest of giulias only had the one filter. The GTAs and TI Super with the Bendix pump with Metal filter had the 2 filters. And maybe there was a reason for the 2. And since all other Giulias had the fispa, including the one being discussed it would likely be a good Idea to use it and not rely on just the Metal filter in the bendix. I'd say the metal filter protects the pump and the FISPA filter protects the Carbs.

Further if one was using a Bendix or the Like on a USA FI converted to Carb car, then and inline or other FISPA like filter would be a good idea or pump through the engine bay FI filter (although I have no experience doing that) IMHO.

FWIW

Ken

·
Registered
372 Posts
I installed the new Facet fuel pump yesterday. There was a fair amount of crud/sediment in the old pump but nothing too dramatic. The filter itself seemed to be in pretty good shape.

Going through old PO paperwork, it looks like the original mechanical pump was replaced with the Facet sometime around 2000 - 2001. I figure installing a new pump is one less thing to go wrong. Also changed out the aging rubber fuel lines into/out of the pump and did not insert a filter between the gas tank and fuel pump.

·
Registered
314 Posts
the fispa filter is also a pressure regulator , that is why they used it along with the TWO , not one , bendix pumps , which by the way had a rather intricate connection of hoses from the line to one pump to, then to the other then to the exit .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts