Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My GT Veloce 2000, from 1972, is equipped with an electrical driven Vermeulen Hollandia steel sunroof.
On the back, besides the electrical motor you have a small gear wheel box opening and closing the sunroof, through a long endless screw.
This box is damaged and not hardly repairable, unless I can find a similar box or the parts of it.
Herewith some pictures of the box and my car.
Thank you for your help where I could eventually find these parts or any other suggestions.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,817 Posts
If 3d printing is not possible, you need to find a hobby machinist who you can chuck some beer/money at who will then enjoy the challenge.

I'd look in local area newspapers or online sites, and maybe even advertise.

I have a retired friend that would be perfect but he lives in Wellington, New Zealand and might be in the middle of a project
Pete

·
Administrator
750 Sprints, Spider, 101 Sprint, Spider & Ti, 105 Sprint GT, 105 Juniors, others
4,994 Posts
The problem with replacement parts from another period Hollandia sunroof will be age of the parts & failure is a real possibility. As others have pointed out, 3D printing or a competent machinist who will take up the challenge are your best solutions.

Another option which I would consider is a modern sun roof motor & drive cable - from a BMW or Peugeot or similar modern car at a breaker's yard. You might have to try a few options to get one that will work for you.

I actually have a spare 101 Sprint roof with a period Coenen sunroof in it, very similar to the Hollandia, but being 10 years earlier it's a mechanical latch & slide by hand panel, no motors at all.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what's the actual problem with the gearbox? Printing replacement gear may actually be a reasonable proposition these days.
If 3d printing is not possible, you need to find a hobby machinist who you can chuck some beer/money at who will then enjoy the challenge.

I have a retired friend that would be perfect but he lives in Wellington, New Zealand and might be in the middle of a project
Pete

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Pete
Hi PSk,
Thanks for your suggestion and yes, if I can't find any suitable parts, I have to think about a 3 D metal print.
Here in Belgium, this is for sure available.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what's the actual problem with the gearbox? Printing replacement gear may actually be a reasonable proposition these days.
Hello Sebastiaan,
Thanks for your advice.
I still have to dismantle that small gearbox, which is not an easy job.
But I presume that is it the nylon gear wheel who's totally worn out.
I see that you are from The Netherlands, I'm from Belgium.
Can I send you through this Alfa BB a private message with my mail address and cellular.
Would be great to chat together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem with replacement parts from another period Hollandia sunroof will be age of the parts & failure is a real possibility. As others have pointed out, 3D printing or a competent machinist who will take up the challenge are your best solutions.

Another option which I would consider is a modern sun roof motor & drive cable - from a BMW or Peugeot or similar modern car at a breaker's yard. You might have to try a few options to get one that will work for you.

I actually have a spare 101 Sprint roof with a period Coenen sunroof in it, very similar to the Hollandia, but being 10 years earlier it's a mechanical latch & slide by hand panel, no motors at all.

Ciao
Greig

I actually have a spare 101 Sprint roof with a period Coenen sunroof in it, very simila

Ciao
Greig
Hi Greig,
Thanks for your message.
I found in The Netherlands a Webasto workshop who can install a complete new steel electrical sunroof.
Unfortunately the dimensions are 2 centimeters too short. So there is a lot of work to do of welding extra metal sheets and respraying the roof. Total cost is about 4700 euros.
That's above my budget.

·
Administrator
750 Sprints, Spider, 101 Sprint, Spider & Ti, 105 Sprint GT, 105 Juniors, others
4,994 Posts
I don't think I explained myself so well - don't fit a modern steel sunroof, just see if you can use the modern electric motor to replace your tired old one. Keep your panel, just use the new motor & drive cable

Hartelyke groeten uit Zuid Afrika
Greig

·
Registered
216 Posts
would this maybe (just maybe) be a suitable parts donor? Or to try and retrofit the electrical parts to your own sunroof. Might be worth a 50 euro gamble.

Besides that, I've only heard of a Webasto (formerly Hollandia Vermeulen) installer in Roosendaal that was helpful in the past. this one: Home - Jevotech and perhaps also try here: Luxe schuifdaken van Car Roof Service Oisterwijk

·
Registered
257 Posts
"

Unfortunately the dimensions are 2 centimeters too short. So there is a lot of work to do of welding extra metal sheets and respraying the roof. Total cost is about 4700 euros.
That's above my budget."

gee if it came to that i would get a full roof put back on....
thats my opinion anyway

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
would this maybe (just maybe) be a suitable parts donor? Or to try and retrofit the electrical parts to your own sunroof. Might be worth a 50 euro gamble.

Besides that, I've only heard of a Webasto (formerly Hollandia Vermeulen) installer in Roosendaal that was helpful in the past. this one: Home - Jevotech and perhaps also try here: Luxe schuifdaken van Car Roof Service Oisterwijk
Hi Sebastiaan,
I've been in contact with both of them. Car Roof Service is the one who can install a new roof at 4700 Euros.
Also André Hagenaars from Webasto Roosendaal called me this morning to give me some suggestions.
I continue my search.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"

That's above my budget."

gee if it came to that i would get a full roof put back on....
thats my opinion anyway
Hi Xitsurf,
Thanks for your suggestion.
This was also suggested by a dutch classic Alfa workshop.
To cut the existing roof and weld another one.
But at what cost and what about the reliability?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts