Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the weather is improving, I opened my 164L sunroof the other day, and it seems to bind a bit when it gets about half open. And it won't quite close all the way, unless I press down on the black plastic(?) support in the front section of the sunroof, then it closes all the way. Any advice about lubrication, screw tightening, etc., so it operates more smoothly? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
27,275 Posts
Now that the weather is improving, I opened my 164L sunroof the other day, and it seems to bind a bit when it gets about half open. And it won't quite close all the way, unless I press down on the black plastic(?) support in the front section of the sunroof, then it closes all the way. Any advice about lubrication, screw tightening, etc., so it operates more smoothly? Thanks.
Not much advice except watch your fingers and use a pencil or pen instead.

Be very careful trying to adjust linkage to air deflector linkage it is fragile.

Inspect tracks for old hardened grease and maybe spray with a good spray lube.

I finally disconnected power to my daughter's 164B sun roof as it had some broken linkage and she would get it jammed part way open.

No longer a problem as she wrecked the car couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks again for the advice, Steve. I will lube the tracks and see if it gets better. It did close all the way last night without any help, so maybe it will improve with use.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
You need to take the roof off for inspection. Open part way, unhook the inner trim from the outside, get back in and push trim back. Take off four nuts, one in each corner, get out and lift roof off. Check that all catches, latches, hooks and grabs are in working order and not broken. They snap and bend with age and fail. If they fail on the one side, the roof will start to put stress on the other side and will not slide square. I have mine in bits and doubt if I will ever get it working properly again without spending hundreds on completely new parts from Alfa Romeo and that's if they still have them. On the plus side I've learnt quite a bit on how they work but have unfortunately discovered that they are made up of monkey metal.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I had that deflector problem too. The sunroof stopped when it touched the deflector, I could see it was binding just slightly.

One day I opened the sunroof, folded some sheets of newspaper, stuffed them under the corners of the deflector and pushed the center down just a little bit, I can't even notice a difference in shape. Now it closes perfectly.

I will take some more time to grease the linkages, just for peace of mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts