Alfa Romeo Forums banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Glad you were able to get out, we've been soaked for nearly 3 weeks now (raining as I type this). We did have a couple hour break yesterday so I got one of the classics out, but you had a better drive based on topography of those roads. Open highways were nice I'm sure, and that is a very pretty drive.

Thanks for the update!

·
Administrator
12,765 Posts
Proof that you do not need modern wide tyres, springs and shocks, bigger brakes, more power, etc. to have fun in a 105.

Still don't understand owners modifying these cars, if a road car, ... just buy a modern car if you want that boring on rails driving experience, and cup holders.
Pete

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Just a little video of me and Renzo on a Sunday morning drive.

-tj in the Cruz Mtns (literally)

·
Premium Member
21,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
I'm with Pete; I don't need all my cars to be the same. Some more power, some less, skinny tires, fat tires, whatever. I'm an originalist for the most part, I like how Alfa made them. I do sometimes make changes that I see as in the spirit of the original design. My Super has a 1750 and 14" wheels, for example. To each his own.
Andrew

·
Administrator
12,765 Posts
It is alarming though watching alfa_corsa's cool video on how short the seat looks!

Pete

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Do you mean the lack of neck/head support? It might be a bit exaggerated by the camera angle, I’m not a tall guy (5’10”) but you’re not wrong. Lack of a headrest is a scary thing and I know people that have replaced the OE seats with those from later cars.

My wife was driving Renzo when she (the car) was rear-ended at AlfaCalifornia2013, and she (the wife) did end up some soft tissue damage and pain in her back and neck. Would it have been less severe with a headrest? Hard to say, but it certainly couldn’t have hurt.

It is alarming though watching alfa_corsa's cool video on how short the seat looks!

Pete
-tj

·
Premium Member
21,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
My car has IAP red springs front and rear, done 20+ years ago. It has 1 to 1.5" of rake depending on how much gas is in it. I like my cars to sit flat. Got in there today, measured and cut off 3/4" from the rear springs, being conservative. I removed about half the rake, car now has 1/2 to 3/4" of rake. I'll drive it some while, see how it goes. I didn't want to take too much off, and in fact I don't like low cars much. But adjusting the rear is a lot easier than adjusting the front.

Here she sits, on deserted Fourth St in Berkeley, normally a high-end shopping mecca, now a ghost town.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
The picture accentuates it a bit, the way I'm not parallel to the parking lines. But I measured to the jack points in my flat garage.

Andrew

·
Registered
641 Posts
Looks good to me. The rear looks much better now

·
Premium Member
21,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Keep the gas tank full!
I did this with my Super, which had stock springs and always sat high in back. It settled another half inch or so over time, so maybe this will too.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
The Super is in the paint shop after a fender scrape, homeless person, vandal, homeless deer, not sure, so GTV is my daily driver just now. Today's excitement:
  • Went over to SF to pick up parts from a friend, and he's got a loaner M8 from BMW to review for a magazine. What a car and what a color.
  • My 2002tii motor is built, now on the stand to test-run. Got it to fire but not run on its own. Something not right with the fuel; I may not have enough pressure. But has good oil pressure and sounds good when run on squirted gas. The GTV oversees.
  • Finally, working on a friend's faggio 2000 GTV. Here the relatives commiserate about that darn Kugelfischer pump on the tii. This GTV has an Ingram rebuilt pump and is on the button.
I'm clueless why the pics sort in reverse order. Alas.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
That M8 diesnt look all that much bigger
Greens cool, like my motorcycle

·
Administrator
12,765 Posts
Kugelfischer is a good system

Pete

·
Registered
372 Posts
The Super is in the paint shop after a fender scrape, homeless person, vandal, homeless deer, not sure, so GTV is my daily driver just now. Today's excitement:
  • Went over to SF to pick up parts from a friend, and he's got a loaner M8 from BMW to review for a magazine. What a car and what a color.
  • My 2002tii motor is built, now on the stand to test-run. Got it to fire but not run on its own. Something not right with the fuel; I may not have enough pressure. But has good oil pressure and sounds good when run on squirted gas. The GTV oversees.
  • Finally, working on a friend's faggio 2000 GTV. Here the relatives commiserate about that darn Kugelfischer pump on the tii. This GTV has an Ingram rebuilt pump and is on the button.
I'm clueless why the pics sort in reverse order. Alas.

Andrew
That M8 is insane-looking!

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
"Run in stand"?

You, sir, are a genius when it comes to simplicity and efficiency. Now I have to rethink my options for a DIY run in stand.

·
Premium Member
21,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
I used to have an Alfa-specific test stand, made out of 2x4s. Eventually, living outside, it rotted away. Now I just strap the engine to a dolly, rig the radiator on a chair, wire and fuel it all up in an ad-hoc way. So far so good, have done three Alfa engines, a Fiat 850, and this 2002tii. The 2002 engine sits at 45*, which was a challenge to figure out, but I have an Alfaholics engine crate stand, it works nicely to prop up the exhaust side of the engine.
I think my fuel delivery pump is not giving enough pressure to make the Kugelfischer happy. Working on it.
Andrew

121 - 140 of 149 Posts