Alfa Romeo Forums banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Andrew lovely car but beyond that your enthusiasm is infectious, your work rate scary, and your subliminal message: “drive them!” is landing and motivating for those of us making our way to rubber on the road (me) Many thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I may have to give your guy a try. I'm looking for a new guy given the slaughter that occured on my GTV6 seats.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I havent read the whole thread so please forgive me it I am covering old ground. Im keen in the Nardi wheel for my GTV if you are interested in selling

·
Premium Member
21,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
That one is long sold. I have another, but no hub. If you're interested send me a PM.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
To paraphrase "Lion King," everything the light touches is Italian. My GTV, my wife's Vespa, a friend's red Super, my green Super, my red Cagiva.

Did some oil-burning diagnostics yesterday on a friend's 2000 GTV, following him around, ripping up and down hills in Berkeley to see when and how much his car smoked. Two GTVs tearing around is bound to grab some attention, and we did. So fun. I had a 74 GTV for 20 years, wish I'd moved to a Stepnose sooner.

My cousin drove this car on a July Fourth Drive a couple weeks ago, was a good day out in Marin.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Ohhhhhh - a TR6! Italian styling that has held up well.

Some nice Alfas there too. 🙂

Figure out the oil burning? Rings or valve guide/?

·
Premium Member
21,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #109 (Edited)
So I realize the GTV we were diagnosing is the blue one in the second pic.

It smells slightly of oil all the time but doesn't smoke noticeably on hard acceleration or normal driving. Coasting down long hills on a closed throttle, lots of blue smoke buildup, which to me says valve guides. So we'll start with a valve job, see how much, if any, improvement. Owner says it burns a quart every 200-300 miles, which is a lot. Compressions when we checked a few months ago were good, 170+. But that doesn't say anything about the oil rings. This is much like my own 200 way 20 years ago. Did a valve job but it was of minimal benefit. But my car smoked all the time. Didn't really get better til I did pistons, liners, rings.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Time for a leakdown?

Refresh me if you can do rings with the engine in the car? Bearings as well that that point?

·
Premium Member
21,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Leakdown and compression tell you only about the compression rings. I don't think they tell you anything about the oil rings.

People do change rings in place, but I wouldn't. Will do the head, see how it is. If it needs a full rebuild, it's not very many hours wasted.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
So the 2000 I'm building for Sean's GTV is done, have run it on the ground. Still waiting for its new actuator from Wes, and I want to run it full of water before installing it to make sure it all seals OK. The old head and the block both had corrosion from the head gasket so I want to make sure the water stays on the inside. Once I got the timing right it fired up and idled. Compression measured 150 at a slow cranking speed, oil pressure 90. So far so good. See pic.

In my GTV news, took it out for a Sonoma/Napa/Healdsburg drive yesterday with this 240Z, about 100-mile loop from Petaluma, plus about 100 miles up and back from Berkeley. Great roads, near Lake Berryessa, through Pope Valley and Angwin, back into the Napa Valley and Anderson Valley. Doing research for a future drive. Wine Country's great on a weekday when the winers aren't present. Car was flawless, fast, stable, so fun.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
There are some great roads around Berryessa. Thanks for the reminder. I might take that way home from Sears Point, tomorrow.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts