Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Here's the OK carpet, about half in, and the two outboard pairs of seat holes on the driver's side. Underneath, all four have the same square welded nutplates. Only the outer ones have reinforcement inside. The inner ones line up with the regular GTV seat. Curiouser and curiouser?
Andrew

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
I assume you hit that floor with some sort of rust killing primer ... or wire brushed it clean and then sealed it with paint :)

Pete

·
Premium Member
21,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
Carpets are in. Happy enough. In terms of fit, the tunnel piece is a little too large at the front, and the anti-scuff area next to the gas pedal extends too far down. On the rear floor pieces, the spacing for the seat bolt holes is off by an inch or two on the rear ones, as well as off for the "inner outboard" bolt holes this car uses. Not a big deal, it's pretty much all covered by the seats.

I forgot to cut the seat belt holes beforehand but it was easy enough to find them with a scribe.

It had one seatbelt in the rear. Had two belt nutplates in the center, either side of the diff. I recall this from my 74 GTV; to put in two rear belts I had to drill holes into the wheelwells for the outer bolts. That makes the belt in stock form useful only if you're sitting on the hump. Screwy.

Of course, this now makes the seats and dash look even worse.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Here's the OK carpet, about half in, and the two outboard pairs of seat holes on the driver's side. Underneath, all four have the same square welded nutplates. Only the outer ones have reinforcement inside. The inner ones line up with the regular GTV seat. Curiouser and curiouser?
Andrew
I’ve been meaning to respond to this as I have the same holes in the floor of my 66. I asked Tom Sahines about this and he said that the holes closest to the door sill were for Juniors, which used the same shell but which had different seats.

-TJ in the Cruz Mountains

·
Premium Member
21,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Been using the GTV every couple weeks, it's a great driver. Recent upgrades making a new piece to get the latch to hold on the glovebox door. Which did nothing to improve the awful condition of the "wood." I also replaced the plastics overlays in the two small gauges, so now you can read what the gas level, temps, pressure, actually is. Worthwhile project but a delicate job.

Took a group out yesterday for a New Year's Day drive. About half Alfas, half oddballs from the Arcane Car club. Three GTVs, two Berlinas, a Jr Z, a Spider. Fun stuff included a Dart Swinger, Mercedes 200T wagon, Facellia, Bristol, Lotus Esprit, early Mini Cooper, and 1930s Chevy truck. We roamed along the top of the Hayward Fault from Berkeley to Castro Valley to Niles. Easy drive, nice day, clear and cold (for California). Nice harsh sunlight, a good day out.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I tested them to make sure they worked. They are 70s Cibies, a friend wants them for his car so I'm trading him for Carellos. These are pre-Z beams, had these in period on various Fiats n Alfas.

Andrew

·
Registered
434 Posts
i never tire of looking at that beautiful nose....

Although it always leads me back to the point, why after the 2600 Sprint, with its nicely smoothed out front, did Giugiaro/Bertone come up with the
'open bonnet' , step-front look for its smaller sibling?
The way either end has that almost 45 degree leading edge into the front lines, looks like it was almost a mistake!

I look and read a lot about cars and the Italian coachbuilders/designers and i can't recall anything that may have lead to this.

Strange...

Cheers,

Paul.

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
I've always wondered why the step front too? Serves no purpose, just an interesting little detail ...
Pete

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi PSK (Pete)

Why the Step in the Step Front?: the letter-box slit was designed for letting more air into the engine bay....but then it transformed in a unique design feature. At least that's the "Oh So Official legend"

Was this the purpose of your question?

Thomas

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thomas,

It was my question.... go back a post....

I had thought of the air issue but there is a seal on the bonnet there that kind of seals it.

I also think the slit is too high to hit the radiator.

Cheers,

Paul.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi Paul,

as I wrote it's more of a design gag/joke with a somehow legendarized & vague engineering purpose/reason explanation.

I firmly do believe that Giugiaro intended to give the front styling this last "twist" in design that will make it recognizable amongst all others.

The funny thing is that certain design clues he used for the Giulia GT also appeared on his later designs. As a good example you may compare the headlight position of the Giulia GT to the one of the VW Golf Mk 1.

Cheers Thomas

·
Premium Member
21,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
This car lacks the rubber seal there, as do most of the others I've seen. First Alfa I ever knew was a white stepnose, had the seal. I'll get one, in time.
Andrew

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Yep just the last twist in his fabulous design, with no real purpose. So Italian 🙂
Pete

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Andrew - may I be the first to add WAY late congratulations on the new find! Geez, I step away from the forum to focus on some air cooled stuff for a year and you guys go and do all sorts of interesting things...

·
Premium Member
21,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
I pulled the seats out two weeks ago for reupholstering. They'd been done a long time ago in original style but the vinyl was cracking all over and the driver's seat was sagged out. Bought kits from Classic Alfa, gave them to Alameda Auto Upholstery. Got them back Friday, nice job. Two springs in driver's seat were broken, they replaced those and added some foam. It's super-dense and I may ask them to back off a bit on firmness. But 95% happy, which beats my satisfaction rate on most upholstery jobs.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Pretty stinkin' happy. I have a low-rent guy in Oakland for stuff I don't care too much about; you know, VWs and American cars. But Giulia Super and GTV seats of this era are really sculpted and take some work to get the material to fit the shape. Alameda did well. All in, material and labor roughly $1200, 3/4 of which was labor. That's about what I paid to have my Super's seats done form scratch a couple years ago (Bay Area labor rates). My low-rent guy would do it for half that, but I'd be half as happy.

Andrew

81 - 100 of 127 Posts