Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Well, you'll not be surprised to hear the line began to form the minute I bought it. But yes, will keep in mind, thanks.
Andrew
I love my Scalino... congrats our S/N is 601571 Jan./Feb. production so Dunlop rear hydraulic/mechanicals brakes, a mechanical hood latch, full chrome grill....

Attachments

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Another weekend, another drive. Today took the GTV with my wife in my Super, friend in Tiger, friend in 240Z, another meander around W Marin. Did Highway 1 North, past Muir Woods, Stinson, Dogtown, Olema. Lots of impromptu creeks running across 1 north of Stinson along Bolinas Lagoon; the road was basically at sea level. Tiptoed through, didn't ingest any water. GTV did great, corners well. Heard a clunk on braking, at home found the L side caster ball joint loose; they make a slap noise if even slightly sloppy. Changed that, and while I was in there found the front calipers really weren't very free, so swapped them out with ones on the shelf and new pads. Should be good for 51 more years.

A red Stepnose normally gets all the attention in a group, but try bringing a Tiger; people melt for them even when you can't hear the exhaust. Hobey has had this Mk 1 for 25+ years, has a 289 and T5 trans, goes like stink but I'd trust a GTV in the twisties over a Tiger any day. My Tiger-building project proceeds, here it and the GTV talk shop in the shop.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Car looks great. Let me know when you get into the dashboard restoration. I have some experience with these devils!

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Delta-Sierra AROC chapter held a Sacramento Delta "ferries and bridges" tour today, I took the GTV. Started in Rio Vista, wound around the Delta, rode on two Caltrans ferries that are part of the state highway system (the Real McCoy II and the J Mack), stopped in historic Chinese town of Locke, and had nice beer n BBQ lunch in Isleton. Led by Michael and Tamara Williams, 14 cars in all, four GTVs in red, white, green, and blue, three Duettos, two other Spiders, a 4C, a Giulia Veloce, and two Porsches. Great bunch, good trip. An unusual aspect was getting stopped for quite awhile by a sheep herd/stampede on a public road in the Montezuma Hills south of Fairfield. The sheep had been on the road for many miles, and guess what we got all over our cars as we drove through it? Fun trip, thanks Michael and Tamara. GTV doing well, 500 miles since the head gasket, time to retorque.
The blue GTV is a Jr with a GTA Jr head and distributor, 45 Webers, etc. Pretty cool car.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Big improvements today. Got these parts from Classic Alfa some time ago, installed today. Bertone script and proper C pillars quadrifoglios. Much better.
I got a carpet set from OKP but might be a bit before I install it.

Andrew
Awesome!

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Big improvements today. Got these parts from Classic Alfa some time ago, installed today. Bertone script and proper C pillars quadrifoglios. Much better.
I got a carpet set from OKP but might be a bit before I install it.

Andrew
Very nice! What did you use to mount the Quadrifoglio badges? Speed nuts?

-tj in the Cruz Mtns

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Seemed like a patriotic thing on the Fourth of July to go out and burn up some gas on a drive. Me in my 67 GTV, John in his 74 GTV, John and Julia in their 70 Berlina, and Aaron and Meredith in their 67 Super wandered around Marin County. Also met a a friend in a Touring Tipo 3 1900 at a fire department pancake breakfast in Woodacre, but didn't get pics and the 1900 had to head home.
Here's a few pics from the drive. The on-the-dam pic is Alpine Reservoir west of Fairfax, dam is 100 years old this year. It's on Bolinas-Fairfax Rd, full of bicycles. A guy who's on the Berlina Register newsletter list (which I publish) rode up and said "how's it going?" Small world this Bay Area.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Love that metallic green, especially on the refrigerator box that is the Berlina. I’ll let you know when I am back up and running and I’ll join on the next one.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I started on my carpet change today. Removed the front carpets, have to get the seats out to do the tunnel and rear. There is added padding throughout, I'm going to remove it all. Changed the shifter, which buzzed like a mofo, for the one I took out of my new Super (which I traded for the proper more-vertical sedan model). Here's evidence the car was white when new. I so wish it was now. Alas; I'm not going to repaint it.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ping me if you need any help with the carpet Andrew. Tom

Reactions: jthames

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Got all the old carpet out. It was installed I'm guessing when the car was painted 20 years ago. Looks like a cheap kit. Came out fine, floors etc are good, have gotten about halfway with the new carpet. The car came with the map pockets for the front kick panels, not installed. They're in now. Also has a stock ashtray/lighter for on the tunnel, I'm debating whether to install it. Here are the floors after getting all the layers of padding out. Pretty orig in here.

On the driver's side there are two outboard sets of nutplates for the seat (6 holes in all); the inner pair is used. On the pass side, only 4 holes. Anyone know why?

Andrew

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,914 Posts
Andrew:

What sort of carpets will you be installing in your Sprint? When I restored mine ~10 years ago, I just had a local upholsterer sew up some salt-and-pepper generic carpet. Looks OK, but doesn't fit like a factory set. Every once in awhile I peruse the Classic Alfa website to admire their carpet set for the Sprint.

On the driver's side there are two outboard sets of nutplates for the seat (6 holes in all); the inner pair is used. On the pass side, only 4 holes. Anyone know why?
Nope, can't shed any light on that. So all six holes have captive nuts, so they appear "factory"? All I can suggest is that Alfa was transistioning from narrower seats --> wider seats, didn't know exactly what body # would mark the transition, so built some bodies that could accommodate either.

The floors in my Sprint were too compromised to show this detail.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Yes. The four outer holes on the driver's side have built in reinforcement pieces. But the inner pair on the outer side are nutplates, factory welded, and match the width of the normal 67-style Sprint GT Veloce seat. They are maybe an inch apart. This inner outside pair are down a step in the floor and the rear mount had a factory plastic spacer to bring it up level, maybe 3/4" tall.

Will get pics of the new grey carpet. It came from OK Parts in Germany through Jon Norman. Might or might not be what Classic Alfa and others sell; many retailers get their stuff from OK. It's more of a pile, closer to original style, but not wool and not salt n pepper. It looks to be polyester or nylon and has a sheen too it that I'm not crazy about. But it was affordable, looks much better than what was in there before, fits, and Jon was placing an order that day so it was in my hands like four days later. All in all I'm happy. Having removed them, I now thinkthe seats have original upholstery, which amazes me. I'll do them eventually, but not yet. It's four bolts each to remove, takes five minutes per side.

I typically figure a whole day to do carpets, barring other needed work. So far look on track for that. I find the rear seats have the inner pieces of the original belts. No outer pieces that I can find.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
My 66 has similar holes on the driver’s side. Where are your seatbelt mounts?

Regarding carpet I thought about it a while and took Tom’s advice and had Sid’s make a kit for me. I’ll admit to going overboard on the interior, but after so many years of frustration and pain I’ve decided I deserve it, and despite not being 100% original, it’s not too far afield from what a “Bertone Lusso” might have looked like.

My parts book shows many different options for carpet colors for GT Veloces and while the carpet I chose is not one that Alfa would have installed, it will look nice.

I’m hoping to have the car back on Wednesday at which point I will resume interior finishing and hopefully get her on the road.

Yes. The four outer holes on the driver's side have built in reinforcement pieces. But the inner pair on the outer side are nutplates, factory welded, and match the width of the normal 67-style Sprint GT Veloce seat. They are maybe an inch apart. This inner outside pair are down a step in the floor and the rear mount had a factory plastic spacer to bring it up level, maybe 3/4" tall.

Will get pics of the new grey carpet. It came from OK Parts in Germany through Jon Norman. Might or might not be what Classic Alfa and others sell; many retailers get their stuff from OK. It's more of a pile, closer to original style, but not wool and not salt n pepper. It looks to be polyester or nylon and has a sheen too it that I'm not crazy about. But it was affordable, looks much better than what was in there before, fits, and Jon was placing an order that day so it was in my hands like four days later. All in all I'm happy. Having removed them, I now thinkthe seats have original upholstery, which amazes me. I'll do them eventually, but not yet. It's four bolts each to remove, takes five minutes per side.

I typically figure a whole day to do carpets, barring other needed work. So far look on track for that. I find the rear seats have the inner pieces of the original belts. No outer pieces that I can find.

Andrew
-tj in the Cruz Mtns

61 - 80 of 149 Posts