Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 149 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The seller is (sigh for him) moving from Ross to Tiburon (look up average housing prices). He said basically, take everything you want in the garage. So some non-Alfa stuff too, including a chain saw!
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Spent all day under the GTV. Also, turned the front wing repeaters around, which both pointed the wrong way. Quality work.

Changed the clutch arm bushings, center muffler, driveshaft center bearing rubber carrier. See pics for before and after in each case. Some oddities including three, count 'em, three return springs on the clutch TO arm and a rubber sanding block as a rear muffler hanger with the Alfa one. Belt and suspenders approach.

Also, one pics of the L rocker; look at them spot welds!

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Well, I'd say, if you want to feature your car, start another thread. Plenty of them available, in fact an infinite number. But I don't mind the digressions.

Got most of the immediate work done over the weekend. Exhaust is now fine, driveshaft clunks a lot less, clutch much smoother. Trans is better with more than a teaspoon of oil in it. My strong belief is the previous owner did zero maintenance in the 15 years he owned it. He also didn't drive it much, so he didn't hurt it. But all the maintenance records are from before 2000, owner before my seller, when it was worked on by Roger's Autoworks in Oakland by my friend Chris, who is good. So I trust all that work but jeez, you have to keep maintaining them. All good now.

Head gasket shows leaks down the block, will have to attend to it at some point.

Got the rest of the alarm out, a lot of wiring. Installed various body seals never put back on after the last paint job. Took it out and stormed up and down 580 yesterday, working well. Very happy to cruise 70-75, and corners very flatly.

Andrew

PS: it hailed while I was working on it yesterday, which isn't news some places, but it is here. Luckily it was smaller than a bb, not Oklahoma sized hail.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Congratulations Andrew!

Maybe some day mine will be back on the road and we can go for a drive.

I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures with your new toy.

Regards,
-tj in the Cruz Mtns
I've owned a lot of Alfas, and even a few GTVs, but never a Stepnose til yesterday. Bought this from Ross, CA, across the Bay in Marin.

AR*246698*, late 1966 GTV, listed by the DMV as a 67 MY car, sold new in Calif in 1968 according to the pink slip. Original black plates, original engine as far as I can tell, 00536*10526*, which accords with Fusi. ATE brakes. Car was listed here on the BB and on SF CL, looked worse in the pics than in person. 100% solid, drives great, fast. Some cosmetics are sad, nothing I can't sort. Seller had it 14 years, I have records of it in the East Bay before that back to about 1990. Seller said it was originally white, I haven't confirmed but will look.

Stock all over pretty much other than IAP springs and Konis. I'll remove the Nardi wheel today, back to original. 100K miles. Had a clutch 30K miles ago, much good work over the years at Roger's in Oakland. Most of the suspension front and rear was done in the last 25K miles. New 175 Vredesteins. Painted by Andy Schank a few years ago.

Pretty stinkin' happy. Red is not my fave color, but no question it's iconic. And this car is sooooooooo unmolested.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I almost always buy projects, a cheapskate by birth and inclination. I fell into a good Berlina and then was first man in on this one. Two cars I don't really have to rebuild or even work on much; I don't know how to handle it.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Discovered a few things:
* Has adjustable upper arms, which I didn't realize.
* Did a compression test, all 175-185, so that's good, and it doesn't smoke noticeably. #4 was a bit oil fouled (plug could literally be 15 years old though).
* Good runs of oil down the block on the exhaust side, so it's head gasket time. Will get to it soon. If anything looks amiss, will give head to Norman to review.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So why mess around? Pulled off the head today. A couple o-rings are deformed from age and most are leaking; it's probably decades since this head was off. It's been cut .005" and everything looks good, but I'll give to Norman to check over. Changed the upper timing chain, will see whether I want to do anything with the carbs other than clean them. They work well. Stock cams, timing, carbs, pistons. No apparent reason why it's fast other than just a good 'un.

Engine is filthy from oil leaks down both sides of the block, and the residue from when it was painted, which never got cleaned. Yuck. Will spic 'n span a bit.

Mercifully, head came off with no struggle. I have had and lost epics fights against corroded stud holes in heads. This car appears to have had antifreeze consistently.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Some of each. It wasn't well applied there. I'm not going to repaint the car white, though I do regret it was ever changed, 25+ years ago.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Took head to Norman, tested the seal of the valves, it's fine. So it's going to get a lightest possible skim and go back on.

Changed brake booster and MC, just started the bleeding process. I seem to do this on virtually every car. The brakes felt great, super high pedal, but it was clear from looking that no work had been done in literally decades. MC was an actual ATE unit, leaking past the boot, and once I popped open the booster, the chamber on the hydraulic side was, as is common, half-full of fluid. Got a new MC from Classic Alfa, and my new Berlina came with an extra booster, so it went onto this car. The pressure line from the MC to the booster was utterly frozen in the MC; twisted and broke off, so I made a new end. We'll see if it leaks!

Andrew

Attachments

21 - 40 of 149 Posts