Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my "new" '92 Spider is the very first Alfa 105/115 I've ever owned that doesn't have a sump guard. I can see that it's already taken some good hits, as there are several cracked fins. The suspension seems pretty firm, and of my 3 Spiders, the S4 easily has the highest ground clearance, so I'll just as one rather obvious question. Any reason not to install a sump guard on this car?

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I would definitely get one. My Spider has one, and it gets good use here on the backroads. My GTV needs one too

·
Registered
518 Posts
Got one on my S4 and it sees some use. Get it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had one put on at the dealer when I bought my car. It was nothing but a huge PITA. Every time I went over a speed bump it would hit it and dent because it hangs too low. Then when you go to change the oil, it is hard to get off and put on again because it would bend out of shape. I heard nothing but complaints by the mechanics every time I had the oil changed. I took it off 10 years ago and have barely scraped my sump. I can see I am the minority here, but just another opinion.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Interesting.

All the sump guards on the market now (and likely always have unless they are a cob-job) are built with provisions to remove the oil drain plug without taking the thing off, of course if they are put on wrong to begin with....

Still, it's true you lose some ground clearance (around 1 1/2 -2" ) but it's more than a fair exchange for a busted lower pan that you only need to have happen once to decide how much it sucks.

Sump guard: right around $100, may throw sparks now and again if you skim it off the pavement, can be beaten straight with a BFH, and you can drive it home when you bash it

Lower pan: right around $140 + + what it may cost for the upper pan too if it's a serious thump +the inability to drive home + the cost of the tow + the cost of the oil + the damage to the engine from running with no oil + the damage to the engine mounts from being shoved in a direction they were never designed to be shoved in + 'the hood dimple' + the possible accident messing up the rest of the car when you run through your own 7 quarts of oil and lose it when the pan lets go.....

Me, I'll straighten mine 100 times and not feel bad about it, though I've not had to yet as my suspension is in good order.

·
Alfa-Less
506 Posts
Dean,

Don't leave home without one......Mine is red and with stock springs it still has the occasional black stripe. When the car was lowered with sport springs, it had a few more occasional black stripes. Oil pan has no marks.

Mine has the cut-out for the oil plug. It is also a good indicator of the condition of your motor mounts as the sump will move closer to the guard as the mounts weaken.

-Rob

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, i said I thought it was an obvious question:) I'll order one up ASAP. I noticed the '92 didn't have the mounting holes in the crossmember, so I'm sure it's never had one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Get one, now.

My 90 is lowered an I have had a scrape or two. Recently, the transportation department left a "bump" while "improving" one of our local streets that caught me by surprise. I have dents -- visible from the outside -- in my hood from the oil fill cap and a part of the injector system. I'd be shelling out huge bucks if it were not for the guard.

D.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts