Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all-

Here are a few pics of the Mazda High Performance Driver's Education event from last weekend at the Shenandoah Circuit at Summit Point. I was in my (ahem) other car but Alfas were surprisingly well represented at the event. Attendees were:
William Wallace (maldi on the BB) - '84 GTV6
Bill MacFarland - '88 Milano Verde
David Tallerico - (another) '88 Milano Verde
Bruce Giller - '73 GTV

Unfortunately the GTV wasn't able to go out on the track, but as sloppy as it was on Friday that was probably a good thing. Here are a few pics of the Alfas, and of my car.

-Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pics, and a link to one of the Milanos going through the Karussel and corkscrew. Sorry, my camera doesn't take great video:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5aTYdtFyPOk"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5aTYdtFyPOk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
Jason, thanks for posting

My, My, that is a handsome GTV6 with chrome bumpers! :D

(Took 25 lbs off the back and 20 lbs off the front compared to those oh-so-heavy US spec bumpers.) :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Jason, thanks for taking pictures and the video. I had a blast in the rain on Friday. See you down at VIR with the MAARC Alfas (Aprilish)?

Bill in Maryland

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Jason, thanks for taking pictures and the video. I had a blast in the rain on Friday. See you down at VIR with the MAARC Alfas (Aprilish)?

Bill in Maryland
VIR, huh... the lil not-quite-an-Alfa might need to sprout a turbo for that course, especially if there's 350Zs afoot. I'll pencil it in...

-Jason

·
Registered
186 Posts
Not to highjack the thread, but here's a photo of my uncle, myself and my brother at the Oct 6th, Summit Point FATT. Too bad that I didn't know about this event earlier. It would have been fun to hang out with more Alfa's.

Michael Conrey
Smithsburg, MD

Attachments

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Are you all AROC Capital Chapter members? If so, then I haven't seen you guys at the meetings. Tonight's monthly meeting is being held in Baltimore. Details are:

November 5, 2007
Monthly meeting
Chiapparelli's retaurant
237 S. High Street
Baltimore, MD (Little Italy)
410/837-0309
Gather around 7 p.m. - 7:30. Meeting called to order 8 p.m.

Also, if you aren't members, there is the Capital Chapter section of the Alfa BB. Check it out...and help everyone by posting your events in there please. I look forward to meeting you all!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alex, I think most of us have tried the Capital chapter. Speaking only for myself, they're a very nice group of folks but the activities don't really fit what I'd like to do with a car club. I'm a non-drinker gearhead with very young kids who likes to tinker around under the hood and toss the car around once in a while. The 2 or 3 events I've been to have really been more wine oriented than Alfa oriented, and while they haven't been kid-unfriendly my 5 year old was trying to drag me out the door within about 10 minutes.

Yes, I know the club is what the members make of it, but I don't have the bandwidth to try and spin up a "competition" arm of the Capital chapter, as much as I'd like to. So if someone wanted to take the initiative to kick off periodic club sponsored HPDEs like MAARC does, or even just some more interesting drive days (ie, not another wine tour) I'd probably become more active in the club. Otherwise I'm content to just informally link up with some like-minded folks on the BB and participate as my time / money / other responsibilities permit.

-Jason

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
...they're a very nice group of folks but the activities don't really fit what I'd like to do with a car club. I'm a non-drinker gearhead with very young kids who likes to tinker around under the hood and toss the car around once in a while. The 2 or 3 events I've been to have really been more wine oriented than Alfa oriented, and while they haven't been kid-unfriendly...

Yes, I know the club is what the members make of it, but I don't have the bandwidth to try and spin up a "competition" arm of the Capital chapter...So if someone wanted to take the initiative to kick off periodic club sponsored HPDEs like MAARC does, or even just some more interesting drive days (ie, not another wine tour) I'd probably become more active in the club. Otherwise I'm content to just informally link up with some like-minded folks on the BB and participate as my time / money / other responsibilities permit.
OK Jason...I understand your concerns. Having just moved here from MAARC, I was surprised to see that there really wasn't a 'Track' group within the club. Like you, I don't drink. I also enjoy the driving vs the showing of my cars. I think you may have met the club during the wrong events. Since I arrived here in Baltimore area, I have held several Formula One parties at our place as well. These have been non-alcoholic breakfast events, many with children present. In fact at one party, we had a beading contest for the young ladies (aged 8, 11 and 12) and a video game contest for the boys (aged 12 and 17).

Having said that, have you been reading the "Capital Chapter" section of the BB? I just organized and ran a pretty fun drive to check out all the fall foliage and straighten out a few twisties too. Are you a member of the national AROC? If not, then you are really missing out by not receiving Alfa Owner magazine and the local AROC Chapter's newsletter. In addition, did you know that you can also do a double affiliation with Mid-Atlantic? That way, you could receive all their newsletters too.

What gets to me is when folks complain that there is no info being passed along or that there are no Alfisti friends or technical assistance nearby, when in fact, they would find everything they are looking for if only they would look in the right places or join the local club. Your voice is important and even though you may not have the 'bandwidth' to make the changes you would like to see, maybe your suggestion would get enough people going to make things change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts