Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to get some info from fellow members here.

I am going to be trading in my snow tires for summer tires on my 94 LS (15" stock rims) within the next month and want to know what you run during the summer.

What do you look for? Speed rating, tread wear, looks, etc?

Also want to say I'm looking to stay under $100 per tire.

And if you have a good recommendation please advise.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I have the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum tires on my 164 and on my 240 (with Virgo Turbo wheels). I also put them on wife's '05 Honda Accord (which she doesn't have any more). They have been awesome on all these vehicles with just the right amount of stick, run smooth and quiet, are good in the rain, and were even decent in the snow and ice (crazy to think of all the snow we got this year in the South), and are not expensive. They also look very nice on the car and work well with the 164's highway performance and front wheel drive in the rain. I have had some tires cause too much wheel spin in the rain, just trying to leave a stop sign/light for lack of traction. I have bought sticker Ecstas, but they did not last long enough for me. The LX Platinums give up some grip compared to the other Kumhos Ecstas (I don't remember the exact model) I have bought, but make up for it in wear. I get all my tires from the Tire Rack and will keep buying them as long as they keep the model. I do stay away from the Chinese made Kumhos, but I don't have a problem buying the Korean made models (call me old fashioned, but I buy enough Chinese junk already).
Charles

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
I want to get some info from fellow members here.

I am going to be trading in my snow tires for summer tires on my 94 LS (15" stock rims) within the next month and want to know what you run during the summer.

What do you look for? Speed rating, tread wear, looks, etc?

Also want to say I'm looking to stay under $100 per tire.

And if you have a good recommendation please advise.

Thanks!
There is not much to choose from for "summer" tires in a 15". So that said.
Kuhmo makes a good inexpensive tire.
I go for tread pattern(don't like the V look pattern, makes the tire look skinner and I find that it does not do well in rain. Stick with a straight pattern), speed rating of at least a 92V+ for this car. If your a cruiser and H min. Wear if your looking for pure performance will be in the 250 range. 300+ is fine but make sure you check the dates on the tires before purchasing. Many outfits will sell way way out of date tires and next summer they will be vulcanized and rotten! No more than a year to a year and half old. Tires are done around 5 years but really to be safe around 4 years depending on ozone effects on them, hot and cold change, so forth...

Also what size? 205/55/15, 205/60/15? 195/65/15? this all plays a roll in what you can get as well.
205/55
BFgoodridge g force is good
Kumho Ecsta ASX
Yokohama S.drive
205/60
Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S (One of my all time fav tires)
Dunlop Direzza DZ101
Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 (H&V) (good tire!!!)
Yokohama AVID ENVigor (H&V)

Those are some good choices and ones I have used. Stay away from bridgstone, I have seen a lot of cupping with those tires.
Pirelli IMO are junk. Never had a good one except in the 80's!

Hope that helps.
Jason

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about Goodyear Eagle GTs? It seems that Kumho fit's my budget and has a decent rating.

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
How about Goodyear Eagle GTs? It seems that Kumho fit's my budget and has a decent rating.
Goodyear are great tires. If it's a decent price and what you want it should be fine. Nice tread pattern as well.
Jason

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
I use Nokian I3's Don't know if you can get them where you are. Great tire!! Have a set on my Fetta and it's the 4th year with ~35k on them. Good in RAIN and great traction. They don't wear out on the insides like all the other brands I tried, nice and even. Like them so much got 2 other sets for my other Alfas

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
I had a set of Falcon summer tyres on my 164 which were pretty awesome. Very grippy and not bad wear.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
As I've said to others (and as Jason pointed out above):

The BF goodrich G-force sport is the a great bang for buck.

I drove a lot of different tires on my various 164s...and I liked this one best. Lasted way longer than expected, also.

They're quiet, bite when needed, and offer good feedback without being harsh.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I purchased for my LS a set of - BF Goodrich Traction T/A in 205/60 R15 91H M+S , three seasons ago and have put 10K on them.
I have been happy with them. Purchased at SEARS. Tread has changed

B.F Gooddrich recommends the G-Force as Rob and Jason have noted, it has the higher speed rating and more aggresive tread.

I would go with the G-Force next time around myself.

T/A is $83.00 and G-Force is $85.00

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Tires have come a long way since the 164 was designed. For my money today I would look for a top line all season tire even though a summer tire would have been preferable even 5 years ago. The latest all season tires are much better than the summer tires fitted to the 164 when she was new. This is one reason there are very few if any performance summer tires in this size now, the all seasons are good enough. Never thought I'd see the day when I said that!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Can only manufacturer spec 195/65R15 be used on the stock 15" wheel? I'm not well versed on tires, so I apologize for these "dumb" questions.

If I can use others, whats the max that will fit on stock rim? 205/60 R15?
When I order I want to make sure I know what I'm talking about.

·
Premium Member
27,320 Posts
Tire size calculator and rim width

Can only manufacturer spec 195/65R15 be used on the stock 15" wheel? I'm not well versed on tires, so I apologize for these "dumb" questions.

If I can use others, whats the max that will fit on stock rim? 205/60 R15?
When I order I want to make sure I know what I'm talking about.
Stock 164 15" wheel is 6" wide. You can use a 215-60-15 but that is about the widest you can use a 6" wide rim.

Most use 205-60-15 but I have seen 205-65-15 size but it will affect speedo somewhat.

Tire size comparision speedo calibration Tire Size Calculator

Tire size to rim width limits Rim / Wheel Width

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stock 164 15" wheel is 6" wide. You can use a 215-60-15 but that is about the widest you can use a 6" wide rim.

Most use 205-60-15 but I have seen 205-65-15 size but it will affect speedo somewhat.

Tire size comparision speedo calibration Tire Size Calculator

Tire size to rim width limits Rim / Wheel Width
That being said, which size do you use? I like the wider look, but not if it's pushing the limits.

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
That being said, which size do you use? I like the wider look, but not if it's pushing the limits.
205/60 would be best IMO.

I agree to pick the best tire you can. 15" are not too expensive anyways.

More of a selection in this size as well.

Go for the BF's g-force sport
Goodyear Eagle GT (V)
Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S
Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 (H&V)
Yokohama AVID ENVigor (H&V)
Yokohama AVS ES100
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position
Some Nitto's are OK

Jason

1 - 14 of 14 Posts