Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1986 spider died while driving about 6 years ago. I tried starting it a few times but hadn't solved the problem. Now I have determined that the rev sensor was open and have replaced that. And freed up the stuck brake on the right rear wheel. Took the spark plugs out and I want to turn the engine over by hand a few times before I put in new plugs and battery and try to start it. Put a rubber strap wrench on the water pump end but it finally just slipped. I put the car on the ground, put it in fourth gear and tried to push it forward but no luck. I've put oil but not Marvell Mystery oil in the cylinders and changed the oil, which looked fine. Hoping I don't have to take the fan and radiator out, the only way to reach the nut on the crank pulley. Other ideas? I was thinking of getting a leak-down test adapter to use compressed air to pressurize the appropriate cylinder.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,932 Posts
Easiest way I've found to do it:

Chock the front wheels, put it in 5th gear, parking brake off. Jack up one rear wheel (make sure the other stays on the ground) and turn it forwards by hand or with a wrench on one of the lug nuts. This'll rotate the engine and give you the benefit of torque multiplication through the transmission.

Reactions: Air1936

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
271 Posts
Chock the front wheels, put it in 5th gear, parking brake off. Jack up one rear wheel (make sure the other stays on the ground) and turn it forwards by hand or with a wrench on one of the lug nuts. This'll rotate the engine and give you the benefit of torque multiplication through the transmission.
I've done this also...it works great. But why not remove the plugs, disconnect the coil lead, and crank? Why by hand?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've done this also...it works great. But why not remove the plugs, disconnect the coil lead, and crank? Why by hand?
Plugs are out. But if the pistons are rusted in place, I'm afraid the starter motor will chip a tooth on the flywheel or otherwise damage the engine. I'd rather have manual control and feel how resistant the engine is.

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
271 Posts
Ok...I think I miss read your post. I thought you said the car died 6 years ago...since then you have tried to start it a few times....Either way, 6 years isn't a long time for rust to seize an engine but it never hurts to air on the side of caution. Use the method that Tom suggested above. I've used it. Words great.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Most direct way is to put car in neutral, put a socket on the crank pulley nut (36mm I believe) and attach to a 1/2 in ratchet or breaker bar.

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
271 Posts
Most direct way is to put car in neutral, put a socket on the crank pulley nut (36mm I believe) and attach to a 1/2 in ratchet or breaker bar.
Ya...The OP mentioned that above. He wants to avoid removing the radiator and fan

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
if it won't move with car in 4th or 5th and you pushing it with all the plugs out, then yes, it is stuck/frozen.
I don't think getting a wrench on the pulley nut will do any more.

I can push my car and turn over the engine easy as pie that way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if it won't move with car in 4th or 5th and you pushing it with all the plugs out, then yes, it is stuck/frozen.
I don't think getting a wrench on the pulley nut will do any more.

I can push my car and turn over the engine easy as pie that way.
I may still be able to push it in 5th, I tried 4th and my feet were slipping on the concrete and I haven't put mystery oil down the plug holes yet, just regular oil.
With limited slip, I thought pushing the car was better than trying to turn one rear wheel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm... I don't have the stock radiator/fan, but I can do it without removal. It may be possible.
My car is the '86 Quad and the air conditioning belt pulley makes the crank pulley really deep. I don't think I can a socket in without removing something, maybe only the fan shroud.
I once broke a crank pulley nut loose by jacking up the front of the car (a Ford Falcon), putting my longest breaker bar on the nut, putting a 2X4 between the breaker bar and the ground, and dropped the car. Desperate times and all that. But I wouldn't feel right doing something like that to the Alfa.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Question, was the car stored outside?
6 Years isn't normally enough to freeze an engine unless it had a blown head gasket, then water could end up in the cylinders causing rust.

If it was in a garage or at least covered very well, chances are you arent dealing with rust.
Oil down each cylinder is a great start, it doesn't have to be mystery oil.
It also worth checking the airbus and shining a light into the intakes to check for mice or anything. A mouse nest in the cylinders somewhere could certainly make the engine hard to turn over LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Question, was the car stored outside?
6 Years isn't normally enough to freeze an engine unless it had a blown head gasket, then water could end up in the cylinders causing rust.

If it was in a garage or at least covered very well, chances are you arent dealing with rust.
Oil down each cylinder is a great start, it doesn't have to be mystery oil.
It also worth checking the airbus and shining a light into the intakes to check for mice or anything. A mouse nest in the cylinders somewhere could certainly make the engine hard to turn over LOL
The car is in a carport so I'm hoping that rust won't be an engine killer. I took the air system apart to get to the spark plugs and to change the oil filter and no indication of any animal traces there. I put some mystery oil in each cylinder today and tomorrow I'll put the car in 5th and try pushing again, ask my wife to help. Also have some other new parts to go on so I can take my time.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Let the mystery oil sit for a few days then give it a shot, because if it is stuck somewhere the oil may break it loose for you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let the mystery oil sit for a few days then give it a shot, because if it is stuck somewhere the oil may break it loose for you
I want to thank everyone who responded. After letting mystery oil sit, and asking my wife to help push, and having the car in 5th, we pushed it forward quite easily after an initial hesitation, like pushing the car over an obstruction like an extension cord. So I'm moving ahead toward restarting the ca.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts