Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the oil pressure sender on my '76; I found a very nice picture of the location, rear of the intake manifold, but of course the picture is of a block out of the engine and without the Spica attached. Back in the real world, it's tough to get to, surrounded by hoses, and from what I can see there isn't a wrench point (although I read there is a place for a very thin 14mm wrench). Any suggestions for removal? I imagine this has been there since the car was new. I couldn't find anything in a search of the forum.

Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
An open end 14 mm spanner reduced in lenght to fit between the sender and the firewall.
If you're lucky it'll grip the sender with the spanner horizontal and you can hit the end
towards the firewall with any sort of extension and a hammer from a vertical position. Really doesn't require much force.
Good luck.
Thomas

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mine was tight and I had to cut off an old open end wrench to about 5" and notch the shaft with a grinder wheel so I could tap it with the blade of a large screwdriver from the top next to the firewall. There was enough room in the back of the sender to fit it on the hex nut and I didn't have to grind the head thinner.

My replacement sending unit had a 17mm nut on the back so I had to cut-off yet another wrench to tighten it.

This is what Harbor Freight is good for.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way, I found a site with super thin combo wrenches. JB tools sells them. a 14/15mm super thin wrench is $3.33 plus shipping. If I have to cut mine down like 34acd, I won't feel so bad about it. I'll wait until I get my replacement, just in case I have to get two different sizes, as 34acd found.Automotive Tools for Sale | Best Hand Tools | Auto Tools Online

1 - 7 of 7 Posts