Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
I plan to be these on my 14 inch steelies.... Michelin DEFENDER T+H - SIZE: 185/70R14

both sams club and costco can order them ....think sams club has 60 dollars off and very discounted mounting on 8/4/18 only

I use my only for long drives down pacific coast highway and once in a while windy mountain road..nothing aggresive

·
Registered
531 Posts
This is what I'm learning.

I like the historic tires best so far but I'm not sure this car deserves them yet because the next thing on my list is a rear suspension rebuild kit. All the bushings on this car is looking pretty bad and there doesn't seem to be much point in putting good tires on a car with a wiggly suspension. In the mean time the tires on this recently resurrected car are looking pretty bad from sitting for several years and I have to do something soon.

And now I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't look for some 15" wheels.
It is worth pointing out that a period tyre would work better with wobbly suspension. Fitting the correct tyre is more likely to stop your suspension becoming wobbly in the first place. fitting correct tyres is kinder to the car, the suspension and steering does not work as hard with correct period carcass design.

Why would you fit a 195/60R14 Falken when you can have the correct Pirelli it is only price and it will wear the components of the car faster. and it is the wrong diameter.

As fitting 15" wheels will give a harsher ride for you and the car. they will not absorb as much vibration. thereby making the car work harder.

Modification on modification, so a few quid can be saved on tyres that will not handle as nicely as the correct thing made by 2 of the worlds best tyre manufacturers. it just doesn't add up.

How was that BMX?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have just gone from 185 70 14 to the original size 165s. I had some Kumho 185 s on it, and before that some Michelin XAS. I expected lighter steering on the 165s. What I got was much more feel through the steering, improved ride, it just feels altogether much better on them. So I’m voting 165s. There is a choice, you don’t have to buy the classic tyres, at least in the UK there are modestly priced 165 80 14.

Jonathan

·
Registered
27 Posts
We don't have "seasons" here in Florida -- it's just hot -- but I recently put some Michelin 185/70/14 on courtesy of Costco. $100 per tire, then got $70 off and free install.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Unfortunately that's not an actual option right now. Lower on the page it says, "This item is sold out and we currently are not accepting backorders for this item."

Sorry!!:surprise: I was thinking of them as my new tires when the time comes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Has anyone put the Pirelli’s or any of the other classic tyres on. I have a 74 S2 Spider with 14 x 6 Ronal Kleetblatt wheels with rebuilt suspension, ie, new bushes ( not poly except on T bar to rear axle / diff ) otherwise upgraded stiffer rubber as recommended from CA. Also uprated springs and red Koni Classics and stiffer front anti roll bar at the front and the rear anti roll bar removed. I think it needs good tyres ( it has Coopers on that were cheap just to get it going after 20 + years in storage) but I’m now truly lost on this one. Any help and personal experience will be very greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have just gone from 185 70 14 to the original size 165s. I had some Kumho 185 s on it, and before that some Michelin XAS. I expected lighter steering on the 165s. What I got was much more feel through the steering, improved ride, it just feels altogether much better on them. So I’m voting 165s. There is a choice, you don’t have to buy the classic tyres, at least in the UK there are modestly priced 165 80 14.

Jonathan

Generally people that go back to the right size feel very happy about it.

you don't have to goo classic tyres to feel some of the benefit over an over sized tyre but the XAS or The Cinturato will give you the best effects. And i don't actually think these are expensive https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/alfa-romeo/spider-1750-2000/set-of-4-165x14-pirelli-cinturato-ca67.html remeber this is a Pirelli, so you are obviously going to pay more than say, a Khumo or Barum for instance

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Pirelli CN36 185/70 x 14

I just installed these on my '73 Spider.. with stock suspension and 30 psi all around it rides fine. Lucas ships them out of California. They don't have any other regional warehouses. I had them shipped directly to my local tire store and they installed them. Tires ( $616) freight ( $99) and installation ( $131) was $846. They are very acceptable and the ride as expected after replacing the 20+ year old "stones" the car had and Centerline spring and gas shock package to stock new springs and stock shocks. I run this size on my Super and would not go with anything more than the 70 aspect ratio as this has the right look and feel with hardly any compromise in handling to 155's or 165's. Saving 50 bucks a tire for budget purposes to me is like shopping for gas to save 15 cents a gallon. Over 10 years of life really makes it sort of silly to me.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I know that an early '70's Alfa owner's manual recommends 185/70-14 as the alternate, slightly larger optional size for the car. So, it's either that or the 165s that was their "base" tire size.
Either Pirelli looks great, handles well and costs a bit more than just about anything else. I bought my CN36s from Longstone. A US mailman delivered them to my door in a week's time, all for one price as quoted on their website. I really don't see a big price advantage for the less correct looking Vredesteins nor do I like the appearance of wrong sized modern tires from various makers.
PS, My Alfa is happy with its tire pressure set at 24 and 26, again, per the owner's manual.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Great, thanks!
They will cost you about £360 more for a set than Vredesteins. I dont know anyone in the UK using the CN36's. I mean, were not as well off as our US friends.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m4b0s388p111082/Vredestein_Tyres_Car_Vredestein_Sportrac5_Vredestein_Sportrac_5_-_185_70_R14_88H_TL_Fuel_Eff_:_E_Wet_Grip:_B_NoiseClass:_2_Noise:_70dB

185/70 gives you the closest rolling radius to the original tyre.

Or the CN36's

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/185-70vr14-pirelli-cinturato-cn36.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks Yes I looked at them too. What are you using and how do they feel / handle please. While cost is a consideration, this car has become soooooo expensive ( floors, re-paint, engine axle gearbox rebuilds the list goes on and on! ) I really just want to get the best from it that I can.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks Yes I looked at them too. What are you using and how do they feel / handle please. While cost is a consideration, this car has become soooooo expensive ( floors, re-paint, engine axle gearbox rebuilds the list goes on and on! ) I really just want to get the best from it that I can.
I've been down the same route with costs! But its not as expensive as the boat I used to own!!

The tyre feel good, I switched to them as the secretary of our AROC branch has them on his Spider. My suspension set up is the same as yours, but standard front roll bar. Handling is good, road noise is quietish, there is nothing to not like. The Vredesteins are Giugiaro design so have an Italian link.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Top Down, Thanks for the info much appreciated, Boats ahh yes aircraft too! I suppose when you put it all into context an ageing Alfa isn’t so costly. Lightweight-911 nice looking car! Does anyone know of a really good place to get the tracking/ alignment set up properly. I’ve replaced all the suspension and bushes etc so it’s probably way out and will need sorting out before the tyres. I live in Cirencester so southern uk. Thanks

21 - 40 of 83 Posts