Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a rebuilt motor in my '84 Spider, got it started, ran the recommended 30 minute 2000 rpm break in for the cams, drove it around the neighborhood for a total of about 10 miles coming back to the garage a couple of times trying to get the clutch slave sorted out (works fine down the road but hard to get into gear from a standstill) and after adjusting the clutch rod I got back in and the starter quit.

It sounds like the solenoid is firing, I get a loud clack as it kicks out and a click when it returns but the motor does not spin and turn the engine over. It's been working fine for the last week as I was trying to get the engine started (that's a different story) and it was bench tested before I installed it. Unfortunately electrical systems are my weakest area of auto maintenance and repair. Please tell me there is something I can do/check before I have to take it all apart and pull the starter.

·
Administrator
16,391 Posts
Check the battery. With everything off a fully charged battery should show 12.6V (measure at the battery - not with a dash gauge). 12.3V is half-charged. If it is weak it can act as you describe. And before condemning the battery, clean & secure all connections in the battery to starter circuit (including grounds).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the battery. With everything off a fully charged battery should show 12.6V (measure at the battery - not with a dash gauge). 12.3V is half-charged. If it is weak it can act as you describe. And before condemning the battery, clean & secure all connections in the battery to starter circuit (including grounds).
I just ran out to check the voltage (12.7) and had my wife turn the key while I stood near the starter side of the motor and discovered that it's not the starter solenoid that's clicking it's the relay. It makes a loud click but nothing is happening at the starter. What does that mean?

·
Administrator
16,391 Posts
...it's not the starter solenoid that's clicking it's the relay.
Is this a cube style relay (about 1" square)? Alfa did not use a relay - so that is likely an aftermarket addition. This is commonly done to take the electrical load off the ignition switch. That type of relay is a common part - easily sourced from an auto parts store. Mark where the wires are connected and take the relay to the parts store and get one the same. (there are some slight variations in how the terminals are switched.)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this a cube style relay (about 1" square)? Alfa did not use a relay - so that is likely an aftermarket addition. This is commonly done to take the electrical load off the ignition switch. That type of relay is a common part - easily sourced from an auto parts store. Mark where the wires are connected and take the relay to the parts store and get one the same. (there are some slight variations in how the terminals are switched.)
Again, my knowledge of all things electric is very poor. This is what I am calling a relay. Is that not what it is? And is this an after market addition?

In any case I found the problem. The white wire seen under this device runs to the starter and it came loose from the ring terminal. Looks like an easy fix now if I can just figure out how to reach it with plenum and all in place.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts