Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My '74 Berlina (2000 w/ Spica) has been having trouble staying running. I have just performed a lot of routine and long-neglected maintenance. Here is a run down on recent maintenance in the last couple of months:
> Change engine oil and filter
> Change SPICA oil and filter
> Change both front and rear fuel filters
> Change coolant
> Adjusted SPICA, to lower richness, per guidelines on the BB
> Replace alt and voltage reg

My fuel pressure light and generator light are finally both out for the first time since I've owned the car (yeah!). And the car fires right up, idling smoothly. But once I get going, whether driving or idling at a stop light, the engine simply cuts out. Any ideas on something that's still needed? Why would it suddenly die?
- Richard

·
Premium Member
21,451 Posts
Sounds more electrical than fuel related if I had to guess. I'd go through an ignition system checkover, including wires to and from the ignition switch, and the switch itself, to make sure there isn't some intermittent problem. If it cuts out, does it restart OK?

The fuel light doesn't come on when it cuts out? Does the delivery pump keep running? You might want to check its electrical connections too, including its separate fuse next to the primary fuse box.

Andrew

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Check that the wire that connects to the spade terminal underneath the distributor is clean and tight.

Disconnect the wire to the Fuel Cutoff Solenoid and see if the issue repeats itself. Might be an intermittently shorting microswitch.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you.
I checked the fuses. Actually, I recently replaced all fuses and cleaned all connections with my Dremmel. Surprisingly, under all that tarnish, they were shiny and gold! And I did check the secondary fuse box and they are still fine. The fuel pump still runs and the engine turns over. No fuel press light.

I am checking the ignition system and try connecting the wire to the Fuel Cutoff Solenoid over lunch.

One comment I have is on fuse #2 in the main box (brake lights and wipers, i think) keeps blowing. But I'm not sure that it has anything to do with the engine running. Since I have brake lights and no wipers, I am assuming there is a short or bad pump between the fuse box and wipers.
- Richard

·
Premium Member
21,451 Posts
The ignition circuit to the coil/distributor is on a fuse, but I'm not sure which one. You have a wiring diagram?
Andrew

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Andrew,
Is it possible to own an Alfa and not have a wire diagram?

My diagram shows that #6 controls fuel cut-off solenoid and #11 controls fuel pump. I will double check those, just in case.

PS: Thanks for the post about the Berlina farm in CO. I negotiated a better price on one of them (AR1555423) and I'm coordinating a road trip to pick it up. Doesn't that look like an early VIN from a '69 model, perhaps?

·
Premium Member
21,451 Posts
Congrats; fill me in when you drag them home.
Yes, two of them were 69 US cars and one looked to be a 74 US car, though I didn't get its number.
Andrew

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It worked!

I checked all the items metioned.

I went ahead and disconnected the Fuel Cutoff Solenoid, and drove the car a few miles. I might swap the FCS (or just the microswitch) from my yellow Berlina. I am using it more like a parts car.

Thanks again for all the support Andrew and John.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts