Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, does anyone know the PBR numbers for the caliper main seals for Alfasud brakes? I'm sure that the rears are P7922, but for the inboard fronts I have two alternative numbers in some notes I made ages ago, and I don't know which is correct - P4720 or P7817. I have measured a front piston and know that it's 42.0mm but I don't know which seal is correct for this. Any ideas, anyone?
Alternatively, any suggestions of good sources for Sud brake seals in G.B. or Ozzie would be good to know.
Many thanks,
Graham H, NZ

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for those. Fronts and rears all available from one or another of those, that's good. But fairly pricey so I'll first do some more research with the NZ supplier who could always get these for me in the past, but seems to be having a bit of trouble this time. Best regards, G

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Graham, my workshop manual shows PBR 4739 for the outer seal itself and PBR 7817 for the piston seal.
I had a workshop down here in ChCh (Italtune - now called Italian Job) and owned a series 3 Ti for 20 or so years. Good to see there are some still around.
I`ve been looking for my old car (EFL482 was JU5678) a silver car that featured on the old Tim Rauen Alfasud web site. It went up to the North Island and disappeared.

·
Administrator
12,590 Posts
If the internal calipers, and I'm sure you know this, they are the same as the Alfetta rears.

Richard, FYI - I know what happened to my old Sud ... taken to the dump/scrap metal place for recycling be the next owner as they could not keep up with the continual de-rusting. Shame, but it was a struggle even when I had it. Was a great little car when it had the 105hp engine. Deceptively quick

Pete

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I always thought without verifying the calipers were rear Alfetta units. is that actually right? I had an Alfetta at the time too and several since but never got around to comparing & measuring. I might still have Sud calipers and I know i have Alfetta units.
Pete, I would say at the time I had it my Ti - an `81 series 3 (with boot and old style dash) would have been possibly the best in NZ bodily and mechanically. I`d spent thousands on the engine - hours on the flow bench, and loads of hours blue printing the engine, etc I built it for bottom and mid range torque rather than top end. On our dyno it produced 118 hp at the wheels and I had on a local AROC tour both the rev counter and the speedo off the numbers on the guages. It was then that I discovered the limitations of the aerodynamics of an Alfasud with the bonnet lid bulging and the car beginning to feel very light at the front- a bit scary on a public road.

·
Administrator
12,590 Posts
I'm 99.99% sure they are the same.

I had my Sud flat out at Ohakea airfield thanks to an enormous tail wind. Didn't notice any lift but on a very safe wide runway turned into a race track. Some Suds that weekend blew as we were pulling huge revs in top ... mine hung together, but would not then have been as powerful as yours as standard carbs and only some blueprinting. Fun times
Pete

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Richard, thanks Pete. Good to have that PBR 7817 nr confirmed for the piston seal - now I need to find someone who can supply it! BNT couldn't, and my usual place (Sterlings in AK) sent me some non-PBR seals instead, supposedly equivalent but turned out to be the wrong diam.I'll call Sterlings again and see what the story is with on that, but if I draw a blank there I wonder if either of you two have a good seals-source in NZ you can suggest for me to call. Failing that, it's spend up large on the England option I guess. We've got three Suds so we get through a fair few of these seals and don't want to chuck away a lot of money if can avoid that.
Three Suds, yes, and one is indeed a Ser 3 ti Richard, but not yours (but I wish it were - that car must've been an absolute doozy!!). Ours is an '84 tiQ, originally with the 105hp 1500 but now has a 1700 8V with Dellortos - mmm! Had it for 20 years so far.
On the Alfetta rear calipers notes above, well I don't think they're same as Sud fronts. Although they have a similar handbrake and pad-adjuster system, the layout of the externals is different, and the pads are different too (smaller). On the other hand I know the Alfetta front PADS are same size as Sud front pads,because I buy my fancy Sud fast-road front pads from the US (cheap from there), where they're available under Alfetta Front listings.
That being the case, I wonder if the Alfetta front caliper piston seals would be same as what I'm after for Sud front? Hmmmmm.......
Cheers all,
G

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Me again, Just found I had some Alfetta seal kits left over from our Alfetta days, and no luck there - their rear pistons are smaller than my Sud fronts and their fronts are bigger.
Rgds,G

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Oh well , that answers something I`ve always wondered about Graham.
SafeRBrakes in Christchurch may stock the PBR parts. Worth a try Graham.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update - looks like I did Sterlings an injustice (I'll call them on Mon and explain). These seals they sent me, definitely bigger than my previous ones and definitely an awfully loose fit when slipped onto a piston on the bench, in fact seem fine when fitted into a caliper, and then a piston installed. They're so much bigger than the piston that i can't see how they fit right but they do. All's well that ends well...... thanks all, G

1 - 12 of 12 Posts