Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone can help with a little bit of advice please?

I am pretty new to this, and having done some research on upgrading my engine am a bit confused! Im not looking for anything to in depth, I don't want to take too much of your time. Just a bit of a point in the right direction please!

When i bought the car I got a spare crankcase, as far as I can tell from the engine number it was a 1351cc, it has been rebored with new pistons and polished crank to 1371 from the engineers labelling. there is a stamp on the engine 19 E 82 I suspect this means it was manufactured in 82?

I want to make this a twin carb engine. Would the heads from a 1.5ti fit straight on? Could I use the cams, and cam housings from a 1.5ti without any modifications? Then I would just need carb manifolds, carbs and carb linkage?

In essence what I am asking is: Is this pretty straight forward, or do I need to get involved in re profiling cams, changing valves etc. I might do this in the future, but just want a "quick fix" for the time being.

One last question, can anyone recommend shock absorbers (currently available new) for a 1978 sud 4dr?

I look forward to hearing from anyone who may be able to advise me, sorry I am a novice, I am prepared to do the research, but would appreciate a point in the right direction.

Oh and I have considered the possibility of just putting a 1.5 or even 1.7 complete engine in! I don't want to do that as I want to start getting a bit of experience with engine work.

All the best

Jon

·
Administrator
12,551 Posts
Yes for heads but you should check valve to piston clearance. Should be okay though if everything is standard.

And yes to manifolds and carb linkages, etc. Been there and done this.
Pete

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've read threads on UK's Alfa Owners Forum that go in depth with this discussion but buggered if I can remember any of it, try googling for those but you probably got your answer from PSk.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply's guys.

I am going to go for it. Think I have found the parts and they are not too expensive, so am just going to buy them, and start going for it! Lets see what happens!

Jon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts