Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon I drove the Montreal on some Georgia back country roads that my son showed me several months ago. It's like having a private "Tail of the Dragon" that connects to what looks like a vacant Georgia Autobahn but that's a different story.

The Montreal is such a cool car but this afternoon was different. I noticed that the coolant temperature had moved away from the 80C mark and was hovering toward the full scale mark! It was a cool spring day, tolerable with the heater on high and the windows open wide; which allowed us to make it home without overheating. Before shutting the engine down I looked and as suspected, the electric cooling fan was not turning.:frown2:

I checked the fuse (15 amp) which is in good condition and suspect that the "electric fan thermal switch" may have gone bad. I am wondering if I can jumper the black and brown wires to the thermal switch together to check that the fan works (comes on)? I believe that Giorgio or Classic Alfa would have replacement thermal switches.

If not then could it be the "electric fan relay" or perhaps the fan motor itself, which does spin freely. If you have any suggestions or advice, please let me know.

Mark

·
Push hard and live
9,620 Posts
The fan temp switch controls to ground, so with the ignition switch on you should be able to jump the two prongs and trigger the fan.

However, make sure the wire from the switch to the ground isn't broken first.

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Giorgio definitely has a replacement switch. I ordered mine from him.

I have my old one that, as far as I know, still works. If you want, PM your address and I can loan it to you until yours comes in.

JP

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fan temp switch controls to ground, so with the ignition switch on you should be able to jump the two prongs and trigger the fan.
Thanks Don! I thought I'd be a little more 'so-phisticated' and use my test light. When the probe touched ground, the light came on, so did the fan; just a bad thermal switch in the radiator. I guess it is time to change the coolant again anyway.

Thanks JP, I'll order a couple of thermal switches from Giorgio as they don't usually last too long anyway, unless you have a spare. The funny thing is, I just received a new package in the mail today from Giorgio and hope to put up photographs tomorrow! :wink2:

Why would they not design these switches to be in the 'fail safe' mode with the fan "on" so a $4 part does not cost you an engine?
Mark

·
Push hard and live
9,620 Posts
Did you double check the ground wire from the switch? Mine broke down at the terminal the attached to the frame.

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After replacing the fan switch and thermostat the issue was finally corrected with, of all things, a new radiator cap...well it looked good anyway; should have started there.

I did a manual switch override on my 164 where I could manually turn the cooling fan on when the fan relay failed. Attached link of the how to was created by Alfisto Steve on the BB.
JP
Yes, Alfisto Steve is a wealth of information for the 164! I'd like to send him the 'S' for a few weeks to get everything back up to speed; A/C, Belts, electrical issues, etc! I just picked up the PEX ball valve for the "Heater Core Bypass" he recommends, so at least I can turn the 'heater off' in this 90 degree Georgia summer weather.
Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts