Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the mist of doing a major replacement of aging items on my car like the top, brakes, brake lines, suspension parts, etc. and both fuel pumps. When I saw the prices on the Bosch pumps, I was shocked. Afterwards, I ultimately ordered everything.

Meanwhile, yesterday I was talking with a friend who has a 10 year old Mustang GT. He broke down on the road and it had to be towed to the dealer. Turned out the fuel pump died. Mechanics told him that old ethanol gas in the seldom driven car jelled caused the pump motor to over heat and fail. Here is the kicker....the replacement Ford fuel pump cost a whopping $615 plus about $375 for labor for installation ! So it appears that the replacement parts for our Alfas are really quite reasonable, after all.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Is there a particular reason you went with the Bosch pump? There are many others that work just fine on the Spider.

Did your friend go to the dealer? I just looked up the Motorcraft OE part for an 04 Mustang GT and it's around $300. I also see Spectra, Delphi, Bosch etc from $131 to $172.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
There's a reason they call it the "stealership." You can't compare dealership parts rates to what can be purchased online.

When you buy from a dealership, you are paying for a "service adviser", a parts clerk, coffee in the waiting room, and a host of other things- you aren't just paying for the part. Most parts cost at least double.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Im about to change out my pumps as well, and was going for the OE bosch units, but really? you think the after-markets are just as reliable? theres quite a few. do you have any suggested manufacturer that you prefer?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Im about to change out my pumps as well, and was going for the OE bosch units, but really? you think the after-markets are just as reliable? theres quite a few. do you have any suggested manufacturer that you prefer?
I was a sales rep for fuel pumps, sending units, fuel tanks, AC compressors etc. I sold Spectra Premium, Delphi Visteon, Bosch, Airtex and a range of others. They are all very good, never had a defect problem with any of them. When I say "Problem" I'm talking about a rash of warranties on any one brand. If there is a Spectra Premium or AC Delco version and it's half price, go for those.

·
Registered
971 Posts
After three noisy Bosch main pumps, I tried a one from Autozone, for $159 (vs $275 at the time for Bosch).

That was 2007. All good!

Funny thing was, I bought the Autozone pump because my car was on the side of the road and no other local choices in stock. When I installled the pump and turned the key to on, I heard nothing and assumed I may have a bad pump. I turned the key to on and the car started right up. Weird, a silent fuel pump!

·
Registered
520 Posts
ah ok. well thanks for the info guys --guido

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
In spite of others who make claims about an after market pump, I have offer an actual experience.

I just installed an 'after brand' pump purchased from one of this sites sponsors. It was properly installed and inserted in the original insulating rubber carrier. The pump ran but was insanely loud. The whine was so offensively loud, its noise was easily heard from outside the car. I returned it to the supplier and am now using a Bosch pump. It is the identical pump that BMW, Jag and other companies use. It is reliable and quiet. Be sure you have a brand new fuel filter canister fitted ahead of the fuel pump.

Amazon sells what appears to be two Bosch pumps. Part # 69418 and Part # 69414. After phoning Bosch technical, I found that both pumps are IDENTICAL. One is just an older part number. Purchase the less expensive pump at $126.79 & FREE Shipping knowing there is no difference between the two.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Amazon sells what appears to be two Bosch pumps. Part # 69418 and Part # 69414. After phoning Bosch technical, I found that both pumps are IDENTICAL. One is just an older part number. Purchase the less expensive pump at $126.79 & FREE Shipping knowing there is no difference between the two.
Great research and information skytop! Thanks for the tips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts