Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Berlina
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, short story here is old reservoir had cracked caps and the 2 floats had sunk to the bottom of reservoir. MC was ancient so time to replace both bits.

Unfortunately, I have the same issue as when I tried to pressure bleed the set up before replacing anything. I cannot get any pressure using my Motive Products bleeder. Yes, the bleeder is fine I just used it a month back on our Honda.

I'm guessing air must leak around the 2 caps and sensors.

Maybe I should go with the single cap reservoir.

Or am I missing something obvious here?

Thought I'd have this finished tonight, but it is not looking like this will happen.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
72 Berlina
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, just did a test and that seems to be it. Must be a way around this as I can't imagine shops back in the day did the pump the pedal approach.

Was just looking at the single cap reservoir on Classic Alfa, which is out of stock. Maybe this is the way to go.

·
Registered
72 Berlina
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Divotandtralee, Gubi

OK, seems like a rubber plug, especially with a bolt and a couple of washers to snug it up should do the trick. See what I can find locally tomorrow.

Having wife pump brake pedal is not an option.

·
Registered
10,729 Posts
Actually, gravity bleeding does work.. It's the Heinz Ketchup method ala Carly Simon's "Anticipation"...It takes some monitoring to keep the reservoir full and perhaps 30 minutes per wheel and not that much fluid. Once the cruddy old fluid is out of the line, I recycle it. It's a tried and true method I can't confirm it works on hydraulic clutches though. Power bleed on a clutch was my solution for that.

·
Registered
72 Berlina
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, grommets should be good as they and the MC are new. It seems to be the caps/sensors as best I can tell. Tried wrapping the threads/sensors with teflon tape to seal them, did not work.

I've never done gravity as I've had the Motive Products pressure bleeder for a long time now. Really hoping I can get the pressure approach worked out. Clutch is next....

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
2,019 Posts
I never was able to get a pressure bleeder to work on mine. So I used a combination of gravity bleeding and just pumping the pedal myself to get most of the old fluid out.

After I had done all the pumping I would let it sit and gravity bleed for a minute or two to get any last small bubbles out that might have been sucked back in. Worked great

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
But Mad North-Northwest
14,017 Posts
Unless you really care about original looks, swapping the reservoir is probably the easiest way to be able to use the pressure bleeder. Most of the original three-cap ones are in pretty crappy shape by this point anyway.

·
Registered
72 Berlina
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I plan on giving it a go with what I have, if I cannot get it to pressure bleed after a couple of attempts with rubber stoppers (or any other approach I dream up), I'll swap to the single cap reservoir that CA and others have. In the past, I've never been happy with results of pumping the pedal when installing a new MC.

Will update on my activity...

·
But Mad North-Northwest
14,017 Posts
I've never bench bled a new MC and never had any trouble.

If you look at the MC you'll see why you don't have to: the outlet ports that come out the side are at the top of the cylinder. So they will bleed by themselves if you do the job properly.

Install the MC in the car and thread the brake line fittings but keep them loose. Then fill the reservoir. Fluid will come out of the bottom front port first, once that happens tighten up the fitting. Then wait for fluid to come out out the other ports and when it does tighten those up as well. Boom, your MC is full, then just bleed normally at the wheels.

·
Registered
72 Berlina
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, had to rummage around the area this afternoon, but I found these up at the local Menard's.

Sleeve Musical instrument Collar Wood Tints and shades
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas Auto part

These are 1.25" or 32 mm and the rubber is straight, not tapered. They fit snugly into the 2 holes as shown in the photo and are deep enough to cover the slots. I did need to bevel the edge to get them to insert easily, but they fit. Since the rubber is not tapered, you don't have to really crank down on the nuts to make it tight.

I tightened them a bit and ran a quick pressure test and they seemed to hold pressure. I was able to bleed the MC, may need to fiddle with it a bit more but I think this will do the trick.

Unfortunately, I won't get back to this for a day or so.

And, no I never bench bleed an MC, tried it once many years back, it makes a big mess.

If you have a pressure setup, you can pressurize the system and crack open lines at MC one at a time to bleed and be done in a few minutes, then move on to the rest of the system.

Hoping to report back soon on this.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yes, grommets should be good as they and the MC are new. It seems to be the caps/sensors as best I can tell. Tried wrapping the threads/sensors with teflon tape to seal them, did not work.

I've never done gravity as I've had the Motive Products pressure bleeder for a long time now. Really hoping I can get the pressure approach worked out. Clutch is next....

Thanks for the help.
Teflon tape is not a sealant, it’s a lubricant. One of the first lessons I learned in the craft.

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
I've found a couple of hose clamp on the 2 caps works well.

Reactions: milanomike

·
Registered
72 Berlina
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Latest update, the rubber expandable plugs worked pretty well, nothing like a new tool that cost 4 bucks. They fit snug and then you tighten them up without making them so tight you bust the plastic reservoir. I was able to bleed all 4 brakes pretty easily, so looks like the plugs got the job done.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Gas Auto part

Pedal seems good, of course, I won't know for sure until she is off the stands, and I try it on the road.

There was no adjustment of the rod in the booster that acts on the MC, my little tool, said it was about line to line, hoping I'm OK here. I used the Brembo MC if it matters, as the price went down thanks to favorable exchange rate.

Hoping to get fresh fluid in the clutch system in next day or so, slave bleed screw is not at 12 o'clock, so will need to rotate it.

Thanks for the help here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts