Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've let my '81 Spider sit waiting for new fuel hoses. I'll get to it next week dragged on for a year or more. So I am going to drain all the fluids (that haven't already drained to the garage floor) and replace all the filters. Wondering how best to empty the gas tank.

I did siphon what I could from the fill tube. There seemed to be a little still in the tank - blowing in the siphon made bubble sounds - but rapping on the tank it does sound pretty empty.

I thought since I was going to replace the hoses under the car I thought could just put a long length of hose on the hard line from the tank before the main pump and collect the gas in gas cans. I had the main pump off and turning on the key made no sound and no gas flowed.

I reinstalled the main pump in case the two were wired in series or something (Lucas would do that.) The main pump hums but still no gas flows from the tank. (I have the input to the main pump diverted into a gas can.

I would think I should be able to hear the submersible pump, which means it is not operating.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
First, check voltage at the fuel tank flange. If you're getting voltage there, then you're going to have to remove the in-tank boost pump and investigate further. Be VERY careful with electricity around a fuel tank. Especially an almost empty one. Fumes ignite easier than liquid gasoline.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Sometimes the in-tank pump can be difficult to hear. If you have a mechanic's stethoscope (or put a long screwdriver to the top of the sender unit and the other to your ear), you should be able to tell whether it is working.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts