1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Thanks, I suspect that by the smell of raw fuel inside the car when the tank was low tonight, that I may need a new intank hose for the 164-S. The fumes seem to be much worse when the tank is low...:angry:
Mark

·
Premium Member
27,010 Posts
Thanks, I suspect that by the smell of raw fuel inside the car when the tank was low tonight, that I may need a new intank hose for the 164-S. The fumes seem to be much worse when the tank is low...:angry:
Mark
You have probably got an out tank hose issue - one of the vent system elbows and or the lack of seals on tank cover bolts.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
You have probably got an out tank hose issue - one of the vent system elbows and or the lack of seals on tank cover bolts.
Thanks Steve, that sounds better than an 'in tank' issue! The car is new to me, I've only had it for 22 years. The fuel smell issues seems to come and go but it is worse when the tank is low. My daughter and I met at Cracker Barrel last night for dinner and I backed into a downward sloping (end always close to a curb) parking space, where the front of the car was probably 6- 8" higher than the rear. When I entered the car after dinner the fumes were pretty strong! As I was putting down the windows, a though went through my head, I hoped the concentration of vapors had not reached the point of explosion!

The fuel system has been checked out by Paul Spruell Alfa, years ago and more recently by Auto Delta; neither of which were able to find anything wrong. When the car was a year or two old Alfa Romeo performed a recall on the fuel cap or flap and I have had the sending unit replaced once but the vapors remain. In the summer, the tank builds up significant pressure but not much pressure build up with our cooler weather.

Mark

·
Premium Member
27,010 Posts
I would remove front carpet wall in trunk and inspect vent system plumbing and rubber elbows.

If tank stay pressurizzed which it should and fume are escaping also check emissions canistor and gas filler tube tubing that ties into emmsions system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts