Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Does your 1991 164 or earlier have sub frame spacers?

• Yes

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Spacers? What the heck are you talking about. (read description below before voting this one) :)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am doing a little research, I would like to know if your 1991 only 164's have a thick sub frame spacer on the front and rear. 1 is located on the front where the sub frame mounts to the chassis with 2 large bolts. There is a spacer between the chassis and sub frame. The other is on the back near the rear control arm bushing. Also your radiator mount will have spacers as well.

radiator support spacers:

front spacer sub frame:

rear sub frame (rear control arm mount)

Far rear plate:

As mentioned this poll is mainly for 1991 164's or earlier. I have noticed I do not have these spacers and from what I know they are suppose to be there according to the parts catalog all the way back to 1989. Mine seem to have gone missing. I think this may be one reason my rear torque rod mount fails all too often as it is at a pretty steep angle. All the other 164's I have worked on your parted have them.
Please let me know. I am curious. I understand the spacers are there to reduce torque steer and set the motor lower for better handling etc...

Also if you could leave your manufacture. Date that would be helpful.

Thanks for participating!!

Jason

·
Registered
549 Posts
Jason- I'm not sure what the build-date cut-over is, but the early '91 M.Y. cars definitely do NOT have the spacers. My bet is on a 12/90 build-date, but let's see what data we get from the field.

Interesting that the radiator mount has spacers - that's not something I had ever heard about or noticed.

P.S. My build date is 3/90

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
My 91 S has radiator spacers but I'm not sure about the sub frame. I'll look and try to remember when I get back to putting the heads on.

Paul

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
The 11-90 salvage car I had had them. I never noticed if my 03-90 has them or not.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Jason,

I crawled under my '91, VIN ZAR164000 06212373 (not sure of build date but has V-belts if that helps!) and yes, it has those spacers.

On a related note, I'd like to know what is going on in the area behind the right-hand control arm on my car (pictured) - what is supposed to be in that gap between body and subframe holes? Same appears in your photo but clean(er) paint under mine suggests that the gap hasn't always been there?

Thanks,
-Alex

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Jason,

I crawled under my '91, VIN ZAR164000 06212373 (not sure of build date but has V-belts if that helps!) and yes, it has those spacers.

On a related note, I'd like to know what is going on in the area behind the right-hand control arm on my car (pictured) - what is supposed to be in that gap between body and subframe holes? Same appears in your photo but clean(er) paint under mine suggests that the gap hasn't always been there?

Thanks,
-Alex
My cars have rear different plate than yours with two bolt holes and a third spacer. Looks like yours may have had a spacer and one bolt. Is there an anchor nut in body inside that hole?

Your chassis number is way higher than my 617xxxx series.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
My cars have rear different plate than yours with two bolt holes and a third spacer. Looks like yours may have had a spacer and one bolt. Is there an anchor nut in body inside that hole?
Control arm bracket has two bolts and spacer (of course) but presumably you didn't mean that. I can't see any sign of a nut behind the hole, sticking my finger in, it goes to nowhere. The other side has the same gap/hole.

Your chassis number is way higher than my 617xxxx series.
Always hard to tell in NZ whether cars are actually much older - they take a while to get here and be sold. Mine was first registered in December '91 so it's possibly safe to say it's a '91, then. Switchgear in the interior (below air vents) is the later type.

Thanks,
-Alex

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
My car's build is 8/90 and is sans spacers. :( Wouldn't lowering the subframe, raise the body of the car? Sort of like the opposite of a body lift kit on a Jeep. Actually, now that I think about it a little further, no, because it sits on it's struts and the strut towers are unchanged. It could effect camber slightly though with the slightly different mounting point of the lower A arms, right?
Charles

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My car's build is 8/90 and is sans spacers. :( Wouldn't lowering the subframe, raise the body of the car? Sort of like the opposite of a body lift kit on a Jeep. Actually, now that I think about it a little further, no, because it sits on it's struts and the strut towers are unchanged. It could effect camber slightly though with the slightly different mounting point of the lower A arms, right?
Charles
No not really. Just lowers the motor in the chassis so that the drive shafts can be more level to reduce torque steer. It might effect the camber a bit but not sure, may actually increase camber.
If it is lower then it makes the control arm more parallel with the ground which would produce more camber. Kind of like when the car is under full compression of the suspension the wheels tilt inward at the top. The best way to attack camber is with a low offset wheel Like 10-25mm et. It helps to get the camber sort of within spec.

I am ok without them as my car is lowered so it does sort of the same thing. But I am curious why some had them and others did not and when.

Thanks all. Would like more poll action..:D

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yea My car has them too...

Yea My car has three on each side one under radiator another by the sway bar (bolted to subframe) and another under car footwell if you will, foward of jack holes...if my camera was working I would of taken pics so you guys can see. Oh yea I forgot this tread was only for 91 and down...opps:p mine is a"92"

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I would think that on a lowered car, it would put the oil pan that much closer to the ground. :eek: So not a good thing, IMHO for a car with that mod.
Charles

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would think that on a lowered car, it would put the oil pan that much closer to the ground. :eek: So not a good thing, IMHO for a car with that mod.
Charles
True but not enough to put it into dangers way. I have lowered them with and without the spacers with no issues.
J

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
My 10/91 build date S has spacers.
Thanks Andrew, those who voted no spacers please leave your Manf. date por favor.

Mine 10/90 no spacers
Ciao!
Jason

·
Registered
403 Posts
Jason

The change must have been in 10/90. One of my wifes L's mfg. 7/90 doesnt have the spacers. But the parts L and my B both mfg. in 10/90 have spacers, as well as the 3/91 L that is here. If not narrowed down before then, I can check the other L (off-site) within next few days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts