Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - new to the site so please go easy!

My father owns a 1985 Alfa Spider 2.0L - have had a lot of use out of the car historically, but has been garaged for the last 3/4 years for various reasons.

When back home at the weekend we managed to get the car started.

Couple of issues we were hoping to sort before trying to get MOT'd again... he has finally got time to use it now!!

1. The car would eventually cut out at idle if not revved/choke open.

2. And under acceleration when in gear would buck and stutter, which would then stop as I took my foot off the gas and lowered the revs.

Does this sound like it could be some sort of air leak/fuel pump issue? It revs very smoothly in neutral...

Many thanks in advance

Joe

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,000 Posts
What kind of ignition and which carburetors does it have? Most of the people on this board are in the USA and S3 spiders over here were Bosch L-Jetronic

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi alfaparticle,

Thanks for your quick reply - unfortunately i'm not currently at home and don't actually know off the top of my head....

Will try to find out and get back to you as soon as i can.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Manky old gas left in the tank ? Or sediment / condensation from inside the tank making its way up to the fuel filter ? Sounds like fuel starvation, possibly.
If I have learned anything during my 9 years of ownership, it is the fact that my Spider does NOT like to be laid up for any long period of time...

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had almost identical issue with my '89 S3.

Turned out that there was no filter sock in the gas tank and that caused both fuel pumps and filter to be plugged up with crud.

After replacing filter, (both) fuel pumps and installing the in tank filter sock, she now runs like she's being pushed by an angel.

Hope this helps-M5

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
If it is electronic fuel injection start with a minute inspection of all the rubber and plastic piping from the air filter box to the intake manifold. Especially the accordion pleates in the rubber cross over hose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts