Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

After spending a considerable amount of time trying to solve the matter, I am baffled.

Went to replace my inner headlights (brights), and one of the metal machine screws that connects the headlight and bucket to the grill via a threaded brass 'nipple' lodged into the grill itself no longer has the ability to keep itself stationary- meaning I cannot effectively remove the headlight or the grill itself until resolved.

I suspect I am not the only one that has crossed this path.....:mad:

I even purchased a used grill and low and behold it appears it has the same issue.

So....

What can be done to these brass 'nipples' that are pressed into the grill to retain the headlight machine screws to keep them from slipping??

I'm at a point where I think I need to just track down a NOS gtv6 grill- which I suspect will be stupid expensive.

Any and all input once again will be much appreciated, I'm still loving the car- but this sux.

Ab

·
Registered
353 Posts
take out the low beam bulb and get a pair of pliers on the brass bit from the back...That should do the trick.

on the repair i'd degrase the heck out of the brass bit and glue it up with epoxy.

hth,

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I replaced my headlights and rewired with relays, i noticed that a previous owner had stuck drywall anchors (the small plastic kind) in those "nipples". Been working fine for me.

Not sure if they need to be drilled out or anything first.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
'MR2ZIG'....yeah, thats where my mind was heading as well. Just glue the sob up and hope for the best:D

The drywall anchors are an interesting idea.....maybe thats worth a look see.

It really is amazing how the simplest of issues can creat such hurdles.

Anyone else feel free to chime in with a workable solution.

Thanks to all,
Ab

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
My daughter's GTV has one of the outer headlight adjustment screws broken off in the thread, so I am interested in solutions too.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
arent drywall anchors only effective with self tapping screws? did your car retain the machine screws or ditch them for self tappers?
Thanks,
ab

·
Registered
353 Posts
that screw is only to hold the bulb in the grill so it can be a self tapping screw....it doesn't need to go back and forth like the adjusters do.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I have been driving these cars since 1980 and have never had this problem. I can ***** about a whole lot of other things, but this one is a first. I would say that these cars are pretty old, as am I, and I would spray them with PB Blaster before attempting any replacement. GTV 6 grills are different that the U.S. version 2.0's. I would replace if possible. Which side do you need? Right or left? I may have one in my garage.

·
Registered
240 Posts
This is a pretty common issue.

They probably come loose when too much torque is applied when the screws are corroded in place. Moral: if it don't move don't force it. PB Blaster or similar first.

Fix? Anyone got a busted grill they don't mind breaking more to get that boss/captive out to see what it looks like?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Eric, good call. Interesting web site. I may have a spare grill (seem to remember I bought another awhile back). I'll see if I can remove the existing ones without destroying the grill.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts