Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the treads on this, I've removed everything according to the manual and I'm at the point where it says it slides out. I've pulled and it's just cleared the guide pins, I've tilted the engine back, but this thing is stuck and not going any further. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
what part?
10,293 Posts
...remove the tranny with the motor..easyest way, re-attach a few nuts , then take the whole thing out.. just read down a few post, same problem...added + after you pull the motor/tranny, you can clean out the engine bay:)

·
Registered
what part?
10,293 Posts
if you are pulling the tranny/motor,, ground straps? hidden one's in there...steering crossmember? between the steering box and idler, on the pass. side?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's in the third bay of my garage, the smallest. I'd like to get the tranny out. I'm going to loosen the motor mounts a little more and try to tilt the engine more. However, I've checked all around the transmission and I cannot find it hitting/binding anywhere on the body. I even tried using a winch to slowly pull it straght back and just about knocked the car off the jack stands.

I've jacked the tranny just right so the 4 remaining studs are centered and not binding. Still no luck.

I'l have to get back to it when I'm fresher.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Just checking- Is it pulling on the clutch slave somehow? Did you remove the flywheel sensors? Is the shift tower binding in the tunnel where it pokes through? If all of these have been ruled out, and it has come away at least part of the way, it's probably just binding a little bit on the input shaft. Just push it back in, then pull it away a few times and it should work itself free. You shouldn't have to loosen the motor mounts. Make sure the fan shroud is loosened, and jack up the front of the engine slightly to increase the angle. There's no reason for it to not come out.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Anthony,

Yes! Everything is removed and I looked for binding/hitting around the tranny.

I'll try pushing and pulling to break it free.

·
Super Moderator
12,038 Posts
If your car has the LONG studs in the back of the block, the bell housing will hit the inside top of the body dog house before you get enough angle to get it free. Either the engine must move forward and upward at an angle, or you will need to pull the engine trans assembly. The mounts loosened may not yield enough forward engine positioning. If you can get the mounts free from the block / frame, that may do it.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
. Jiggle the gearbox while pulling.
LOL....jiggle away!!! Yeah, tranny yank- under car. Lots of fun, especially if you had to do it 2X. Kilgore has a point. Jiggle quite a bit. and pull (like you havnt already). Not sure what else to say- members here already provided good tips. This may help- when I did it, I supported the trans with my floor jack some, that way, the weight is not binding on the main shaft and prevents perhaps ruining it . Just a tip- perhaps youve tried it......

Im sure you have removed all the bolts. Yes, the manual is deficient on not saying you must tilt engine back (with a set of 6" C clamps). I had to find this out through tech svc at the alfa club....

Good luck, Bro....

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kilgore has a point. Jiggle quite a bit. and pull
Man I jigglled that thing like a Hula Dancer and she still did not budge. If I can get out of work in the next hour I'll give it another try.

Thanks all.

·
Administrator
17,522 Posts
The long skinny studs can get bent. Try double nutting them and remove them. Do not let the weight of the transmission hang on the input shaft.

May we assume you have removed the gearshift lever and the lever's stub is not hanging up?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Eric. I had not thought of the old double nut trick. Yes. The shifter is out, and of course, I need to order both boots.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Have you removed the lower access plate on the bottom of the bell housing? If not that would allow it to move out some before not moving any further.

·
Registered
what part?
10,293 Posts
... enough of this.. the best way to remove the tranny.. is WITH THE MOTOR!!!,, so many post on this, always hard to just remove the tranny, for the amount of time people put inot this, they could have the motor/tranny in and out..

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
... enough of this.. the best way to remove the tranny.. is WITH THE MOTOR!!!,, so many post on this, always hard to just remove the tranny, for the amount of time people put inot this, they could have the motor/tranny in and out..
I think he means well, but disregard this. Pulling the trans is straightforward. As soon as you determine the reason why it's binding, it will come out easily. I don't know anyone in their right mind that would pull the engine just to remove the transmission. Work smart, not hard.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And the winner is Spydryell! Thanks Steve. I forgot to remove the front cover. I had to jack the front of the engingine and the top right was hitting the back of the dog house. Just barely came out.

Now the fun begins.

·
Registered
what part?
10,293 Posts
by the way.. i was not trying to be rude..

1 - 20 of 68 Posts