Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New fun situation on my 71 GTV project
Rear trailing arm rear bolt (under the spring pan) is fused to the bush sleeve.

I heated it up and sprayed it with penetrant.
I hit it with a hammer and bent the piece it attaches that is connected to the diff .
Tried to break it loose by putting a breaker bar no the bolt head but because it is in the bush it spins a little and snaps back.

Stumped.
Any thoughts?

IMG_6728.jpeg IMG_6729.jpeg

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Cut the bolt with a hacksaw
I use an air hacksaw.
Replace bush and bolt

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Impact wrench? Be careful, you don't want that spring to suddenly unload.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I have it supported by a jack, and I have the nut off. Cant get an impact wrench in there.
Trying to avoid cutting it, especially since cutting the bolt on the head side will involve getting the saw blade in a very narrow passageway. I predict trouble.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Cut the bolt with a hacksaw
I use an air hacksaw.
Replace bush and bolt
Hi again guys.

I should have mentioned ALL the safety Precautions.

I do have the Alfa special tool for compressing the spring which make it easier and more safer.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks
Yeah that is part of my concern, though it is supported by a jack.
It was also suggested to drop the whole rear end, removing the front trailing arm bolt, and deal with it off the car.
I may do that this week.

·
Registered
526 Posts
A penny worth of never seize would have prevented this. A word to the wise is sufficient. Cut the bolt. Get a couple new saw blades, or use a grinder and wheel (if you are proficient with that tool). Be careful, but if you nick a bit of the t-arm or bracket, it'll be ok. Just do it. 10 minutes. Done.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK Done.
Also had to do the same w the upper control arm.
Appreciate the encouragement, neither was coming out any other way, but I did not enjoy this.
IMG_6772.jpeg

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I just bought a Fein oscillating tool - never touched one before this week - and was shocked at the short work it makes of stuff like rebar. Absolutely perfect for cutting thru bolts like this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts