Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I know this has been covered, but I haven't been able to find a post referencing a 71 GTV. The screws mounting the rear bumper stops are seized. There seems to be a different set up on this car than others (usually the aluminum block is below the straps, leaving space to cut the shaft of the screw above the block)

The Aluminum block in this car is above, rather than below the straps. I have drilled out the straps but still the screws are fused into the aluminum block, and there is no space to cut them between the block and the frame rail where they go into the body.

I have used: heat (MAPP), various penetrating oils, an impact wrench, and impact/hammer screwdriver, a BFH.
Nothing has happened except I completely stripped the head of one of the philips with the impact gun.

I saw Andrew Watry's post about his experience with this issue on his green Super and drilling out the screws, but the image on there looks like there is no aluminum spacer at all on that model.
Anyway, I am stumped and could use some ideas.

Thanks!!!!

(I am attaching a before picture, I neglected to take one after the straps were gone and the spacer revealed, but the spacer is circled in the photo. I'll be down at the garage on Monday again and be able to get a photo of how it is now. Will post then.)
IMG_6811.jpeg

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hi machinebaby,

Continue to spray penetrating oil regularly throughout the day.
If you still have to do the other side of the car, start spraying there now already.
When the slot of the screw is teared up completely, try to drill carefully a little hole in the center of the screw and then, with a hammer, enter a Torx socket that has a slightly bigger diameter than the hole deep enough in that hole. It will give you a better grip on the screw.
At least, that works often for me.
Good luck

Thierry

edited: needless to say is that you need to use a good quality ( heavy duty) Torx socket !

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,292 Posts
I use a hand held impact for things like this. Below is an example of what they look like. I'm not recommending this one.

81RDS41qiJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

·
Registered
527 Posts
A penny worth of Never Seize would have prevented this. Please use it upon reassembly, for the next guys sake. If you have completely drilled away the head of the screw, you should be able to heat the aluminum spacer hot enough to pry it away from the chassis. Of course use caution when using a torch. Spray water bottle, garden hose, fire extinguisher, etc.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.

I'll try the torx trick, that may work.

I will keep at it with the penetrant. There are holes on top of the tubes in the rail they thread in to and I have been spraying into those as well as hitting the shaft as it goes into the spacer after heating.

I have used a hand held impact/hammer screwdriver a bunch, to no effect. It did work immediately on the screws in my brake rotors though!

On this car, the screws are threaded through the spacer, so it won't pry loose. I supposed I can drill them out? But that leaves me with nothing to grip to unscrew the shafts from the body.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Spacer is AL? Why not try a 1/2” diameter plug cutter. Granted it’ll take some care to get it started. But it should get you thou the spacer enough to remove, and it’ll leave you with a stub to grip for removing the bolt.

By far the best penetrating lube I’ve used is Sea Foam Deep Creep. Far away better tha PB blaster, liquid wrench, CRC, etc.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not entirely sure the spacer is threaded, but that is what people's experiences on here seem to suggest. Definitely the corrosion is in the steel to aluminum contact.

A plug cutter is a good idea!!! Ill try that

Using seafoam deep creep for this.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holy cow, just looked at images of spacers and I dont see any threading.
This means I can be more forceful!!!
I have been trying to hammer a chisel between the frame rail and the spacer to dislodge it but was a bit hesitant.
I'll go full BFH tomorrow and see how it goes

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Spacers are not threaded they have a clearance hole you are dealing with severe corrosion.

Reactions: machinebaby

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got it, thank you.
Penetrant, heat on the spacer, some tactical hammering seem to be the proper responses.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like a pricey hammer lol.

Well once I found out the spacers weren't threaded I made short work of them with first a BFH and a chisel Two of the screw remnants came out w vise grips and two im still working on.

Thanks all!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts