Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes, you may remember I recently disassembled and reassembled my transmission to replace the 2nd gear dog gear. There were no problems at all until now.
While on my way home, some light metallic scraping noise started, then something broke off and exited the trans area (a little circular or semi-circular metal bit almost like the case portion of a very small ball bearing). It seemed like everything was fine for a few miles, then I suddenly couldn't shift into 3rd or 4th. I wiggled the shifter left and right a few times and got it to work again, but then a few more miles later it stuck in 2nd. After MUCH wiggling and jerking on it, I finally got it into neutral... but pushing left or right enough to shift into 1/2 or 5/R yields abnormal resistance and it's acting like it wants to lock into 2nd again.
Any ideas? It's been shifting flawlessly with no changes during the 800-900 miles since I had it apart.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the "case" portion of a ball bearing, but from the behavior, it makes me think that the interlock bits have gotten out of place and that that's what you found. But I suppose that you would recognize these pieces if you had the tranny apart already ?
Has the steel plate with the cylinders holding the shift rod detent balls come off or something ?
I'm trying to picture the "exited the trans area" bit :eek:
/Neil

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know I need to pull it again- I just hate to do it. When I heard the scraping noise I pulled over and popped the hood. While looking at the engine fan that had recently started squeaking, the piece came bouncing forward on the ground from behind the engine. If you picture a very small ball bearing- imagine punching out the center, taking out the balls, and the piece you're left with is what it looked like. I'll see if I can find it for a picture, but it is smooshed and broken. I don't recall seeing anything like it in the trans.
eedneco- Those detent balls will be the first thing I check out, but I still have to pull the trans out since they're up against the driveshaft tunnel.
This will be my 3rd time pulling this trans. First for a new clutch, second to replace the 2nd gear dog gear and put in the aluminum flywheel (which I will definitely be inspecting as well), and now probably because I missed something the 2nd time. At least I'm learning, right?

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
any oil coming out of the tranny..hate to ask this on... did you put oil in the tranny before you drove it..sorry about that, last question...

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I know I need to pull it again- I just hate to do it. When I heard the scraping noise I pulled over and popped the hood. While looking at the engine fan that had recently started squeaking, the piece came bouncing forward on the ground from behind the engine. If you picture a very small ball bearing- imagine punching out the center, taking out the balls, and the piece you're left with is what it looked like. I'll see if I can find it for a picture, but it is smooshed and broken. I don't recall seeing anything like it in the trans.
eedneco- Those detent balls will be the first thing I check out, but I still have to pull the trans out since they're up against the driveshaft tunnel.
This will be my 3rd time pulling this trans. First for a new clutch, second to replace the 2nd gear dog gear and put in the aluminum flywheel (which I will definitely be inspecting as well), and now probably because I missed something the 2nd time. At least I'm learning, right?
I hear you, man. When one has a tranny out, go over everything 3 x. done forget to red loctite the bolts that hold down the forks to rods, I recall. Even though the nuts have the bend tabs, dont trust them. I didnt do mine, but learne dhtta afterward, So far, trannys still doing OK (after 50,000 miles or so).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bianchi1- Yep, had two bottles of Spirax in there before I drove it. It gets parked in the same spot in my garage, no puddles.
Joe Papa Sr- I have a feeling you're right, that its got something to do with those fork bolts. I'll find out soon...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally got some time to pull the tranny. Set a new personal record- fully assembled to transmission out in 2 hours and 40 minutes. Practice will do that to ya, eh? Haha.
So the 3/4 fork will not move more than about 2mm either way, and it's hitting something. I can't see anything anywhere that's stopping it though. Here it is, any ideas?
trans open.jpg
3rd 4th fork.jpg

·
Richard Jemison
7,237 Posts
Shift issues

Remove that shift fork bolt. If the shift rod will move normally without the bolt in it then there is an issue with the slider between the syncros.
But I suspect you have issues with the little balls and oval pawls that prevent more than one shift rod from being out of "neutral" position.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 3 metal "buttons" with the balls and springs in them was the problem. I had reassembled it before with the balls on top rather than bottom, and one of the spring ends was sheared off and stuck in there. Already got my replacement installed (correctly this time), and reassembled the trans. Shifts beautifully. It'll go back in tomorrow night and get me to work on Thursday. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts