Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1974 Spider with SPICA running grossly rich. Depth of depravity inflicted by PO(s) on virtually every system yet to be plumbed. Obtained proper tool for locking ring on the fuel cutoff solenoid and it won't turn. Basting for past week in PB Blaster; occasional tapping with as much force as I dared. Still won't move even with additional leverage from vise grips clamped to the tool's lower prongs. Due to proximity of TA, I'm leery of putting a torch down there. But I suppose I could take the TA off (time to test it anyway), and then apply heat. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Please don't take a flamethrower to the Spica pump.

The FCS screws into a housing that is fastened to the pump casting by three bolts. Remove these bolts and pull the housing, FCS, et al, off the pump casting. From there you can get it on the bench to persuade it to come off. When putting everything back, just put the housing on first, then screw in the FCS and adjust.

When you take the FCS housing off, don't worry, there's nothing to come flying apart. Just a simple tang and shaft that the FCS pushes down on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John Stewart you could repeat Cadillac's trick from a century ago and disassemble 3 Spiders, mix up the parts, and reassemble 3 complete cars. Adulation follows competence. Thank you for the simple but difficult lesson to think through the entire system. I only saw a frozen fastener, not an FI pump with potentially multiple solutions. May you outlive me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts