Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

My 164's front passenger door is now stuck. What happened was

1. When I opened the door in the freezing cold I then tried to close it as usual but the latches were not grabbing to the car so it would refuse to close.
2. I then applied pressure to the door then engaged the locking mechanism which then kept the door closed.
3. When I went back to open the door the handles don't respond and the lock refuses to respond either mechanically or by the switch.

With this door malfunctioning, the other 3 doors will not lock.

Now I do have spare doors off another car but I can't seem to get the front passenger door to unlock and release. Any suggestions?

Thanks much!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I've had the driver's door stuck open (after fighting it 'cause it was stuck closed due to cold temps), and have had no choices but to drive the car holding the door shut... After the car is fully warmed up (at least 15-20 min. of driving with the heater going) everything (manual, electric, door handle) has gone back to normal. What you are experiencing is not uncommon. To avoid it in the future you can apply lubricants (available at any auto parts store) to the locking mechanisms, the gasket that surrounds the door, etc., which will prevent water from getting lodged in and then freezing.

Here are other threads which also discuss this subject:
Best regards,

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. One thing I did was force the locks to lock so that the door would stay closed. Now it won't unlock and release the door. Is their another way to possibly get it open?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
The lock mechanism is stucked in a state that neither fully latched or unlatched. This is likely caused by dried out or old lubricant in there and the cold temperature make it worst.

You can try leave the car in a warm place and then work the lock (alternately lock and unlock) repeatedly with the key and remote to see whether you get lucky. If this does not work and you don't want to wait until spring, then the only option I can think of is to get your hand inside the door panel to give the linkage some help. 91-93 164's have 2 pieces (upper and lower) door panels and 94-95 have a single piece (that's why I cut a hole under the panel insert to get to the inside of my '94 in my write-up)

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I'm sure there are other suggestions in the threads I listed, but if it were me, I would just let the car idle, preferably in the garage, for 30 mins with the heater on before trying to work any of the mechanisms. (Of course, please make sure that the garage door is open and the car cannot roll!)

Best regards,

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Guys!!

I accidentally got it unstuck. I took out the fuse for the central locking system. Then I used pliers to pull the lock knob up. Now everything is working as usual.

Also the temp in chicago is a little warmer so the latch mechanism works again. I will definitely start lubricating as recommended!!

Thanks Everyone!!

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
This condition is Not an Alfa Exclusive!

As I discussed in the thread on the 164Q door sticking problem, I have had the same problem on other cars, including my Ford Taurus SHO. Therefore, this is not a Alfa related problem, but more of a generic problem associated with rapid drops in temperature that result in freezing of moisture in the locking mechanism. Generally, if you can get the interior hot enough (running the car with the heater full blast), it will cure itself. But I also had to drive to work one day holding the driver's side door closed with my hand after prying it open after it has frozen (in the Taurus). After it sat in the relative(?) warmth of the sun all day, the door worked fine on the drive home.

Therefore, I would suggest not forcing things to get the door to close and lock. Hold the door if you must, but let nature (and heat) work its course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts