Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a stupid question but has anyone else had this problem with the acorn type lug nuts? I'm thinking that the bolt must be turning as I can't get any movement. Does anyone have a trick I can use or do I just need to cut the stupid thing off?
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
You didn't mention if it's a front or rear wheel, or disc or drum brakes. You might be able to pull the wheel, hub, and brake as a unit. You should then be able to grab the back side of the offending stud with a visegrip or something, to keep it from spinning. You might be able to do this without pull it, I don't know if there's enought room though.

But then again, you might be able to find something to cut the lug nut off.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Is it reverse threaded? What side of the car is it on? I couldn't for the life of me get my wheels off the first time I tried, thinking they were stuck, because for the life me, I couldn't get one to budge. I figured what the heck, I'll try tighting it to break it free, and low and behold, the nut came loose.

Will

·
Registered
6 Posts
Acorn nuts

Am very new to the world of Alfa but had a lose stud on my race car (English), on the Alfa I don't know if you can reach the back of the stud or not, but if so, push it in from the back as best you can, tighten the bolt to 70-80#'s and then try to take it off. Worked on the ol'd English thing, but that was a very basic car. Good luck.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help guys. I finally had to cut it off the bolt as it was spinning with the nut when I tried to loosen it. This is basically what I thought was happening but I found out for sure by cutting off just the very top of the nut and watching as I turned it with a wrench. It was actually a lot easier than I anticipated. I used the dremel tool and managed to get it off in about 10 minutes. I curse those silly acorn nuts, when I used the original nuts the bolt does not spin I tried a couple of variations before I was convinced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts