Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago on CarDomain I saw a 164 with a front strut tower brace. I think it was in Europe but I'd have to go back and look. Anyhow, has anyone seen these state side?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm pretty sure Jason, at alfissimo.com, is the guy to ask. I think he was, or still is, in the process or producing a strut bar.

My brother is in the process of creating his own strut bar based off an adjustable VW Golf/Jetta strut bar, as the strut to stut measurements are similar. Will keep you updated

·
Premium Member
9,807 Posts
I'm pretty sure Jason, at alfissimo.com, is the guy to ask. I think he was, or still is, in the process or producing a strut bar.

My brother is in the process of creating his own strut bar based off an adjustable VW Golf/Jetta strut bar, as the strut to stut measurements are similar. Will keep you updated
Another one of my projects. Upper will be more effective that the lower. The lower will be fairly easy to fabricate.
I am basing mine off the VW as well as they are very similar.

I am working on the sway bars but this buy I am having building them is starting to flake out on me. So my project may be put back even more if I have to start all over with someone new. UGH:mad:

The lower is a nice option as it will strengthen that sub-frame, my concern is will it bring out tram lining and more torque steer or possibly reduce it. May reduce it a bit. Will definitely give better handling.

I may also work on a rear strut brace as well. This will be a test thing as it may ruin the characteristics of the car. May get to rigid!

Have to test it out. I think if you do anything the upper is the way to go. But not both unless your racing.

J

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I saw or heard of one that goes from the driver's side strut to the engine mount. It just didn't make sense to me when you could just have it go to the other strut. Not to mention, it would be putting more forces on engine mounts which would have to be replaced more often.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sean, you're right I just went back to the site and looked at the actual mounting point and it is to the engine mount. Here's a pic!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,807 Posts
I saw or heard of one that goes from the driver's side strut to the engine mount. It just didn't make sense to me when you could just have it go to the other strut. Not to mention, it would be putting more forces on engine mounts which would have to be replaced more often.
Makes sense to me using the ENGINE mount that is mounted to the Strut sheet metal to keep that whole section from flexing! No issues with the mount at all as the mount will not be effected by the strut brace on the outer sheet metal area of the engine mount bracket. Won't effect it one bit. That are is stiff, stationary like the rest of the sheet metal!
Also when running to the other strut top you hit the hood! That is one reason most go for the Mount. Perfect location, the mount spot is already built in.

That's whole point! Going over to the other strut is more materials and will do the same thing as mounting it to the engine mount locations

The engine mount location also has a nice wide area for mounting so no flexing will occur there.

The only thing I would be doing is a Y end on the other side for more stability, less flex with a a Y end, also may make the engine mount plate wider to distribute more weight.

Jason

·
Premium Member
27,274 Posts
Makes sense to me using the ENGINE mount that is mounted to the Strut sheet metal to keep that whole section from flexing! No issues with the mount at all as the mount will not be effected by the strut brace on the outer sheet metal area of the engine mount bracket. Won't effect it one bit. That are is stiff, stationary like the rest of the sheet metal!
Also when running to the other strut top you hit the hood! That is one reason most go for the Mount. Perfect location, the mount spot is already built in.

That's whole point! Going over to the other strut is more materials and will do the same thing as mounting it to the engine mount locations

The engine mount location also has a nice wide area for mounting so no flexing will occur there.

The only thing I would be doing is a Y end on the other side for more stability, less flex with a a Y end, also may make the engine mount plate wider to distribute more weight.

Jason

Looks like with A/C plumbing in the way engine mount is place to go regardless of stress point. May not be ideal but we are not talking about a cowl shake problem like in Spider or a Mustang convertible. I believe the 164 pretty solid platform by time you get that far back in engine compartment anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,807 Posts
Looks like with A/C plumbing in the way engine mount is place to go regardless of stress point. May not be ideal but we are not talking about a cowl shake problem like in Spider or a Mustang convertible. I believe the 164 pretty solid platform by time you get that far back in engine compartment anyway.
I think so too, but it would reduce chassis flex a little keeping the strut towers stiff! Worked well on all my past cars. But sometimes it can adversely effect the car if the chassis is already stiff making it stiffer. 164 is stiff and the sway-bars are really the best upgrade ever. I personally have no real use for the strut tie bar but would like to test one to see what it does. Sparco use to make one for the 164 along with their springs

J

1 - 8 of 8 Posts