Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1973 Spider 2L
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start car today. Wont start unless 70ish% throttle will only run at 3k rpm. Breaking up but will remain running. Thinking distributer timing is off but I'm not sure why it would be diffrent than last time it ran.

·
Registered
1973 Spider 2L
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad tank of gas? Dirty fuel filters? Lazy fuel pump?
Gas is fresh replaced fuel filters 2 weeks ago brand new fuel pump. Fuel sounds ok. It ran for a minute at 3k rpm so I'm thinking spark or timing.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Perhaps just push down/wiggle on all the connecting points like spark plug wires, coil, vacuum hoses...etc. Maye something just got loose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The distributor condenser might be a suspect if you still have the traditional point set up.

·
Registered
1973 Spider 2L
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The distributor condenser might be a suspect if you still have the traditional point set up.
Going to put the cap back on. Sounded like it needed alot of advance so I'm going to try that. Seemed like it was firing on all cylinders.

·
Registered
1973 Spider 2L
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a 73 spider I put the belt on recently. Any easy way to check for bad spica timing.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Does it run ok when fully warmed up? In the carbs and injection section there is a sticky for technical manuals, would be worth going thru the roadside fault diagnosis one.

·
Registered
406 Posts
It's a 73 spider I put the belt on recently. Any easy way to check for bad spica timing.
Put the engine at TDC and make sure that the timing marks on the pump and pulley line up, remembering that there's a tooth of possible difference on either side. As far as I know there's not really much other way to check it.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
To tdc, then turn the engine backwards to the i mark, see if the mark on the spica pulley lines up with the mark on the spica pump body. It can be 180 out.

·
Registered
1973 Spider 2L
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To tdc, then turn the engine backwards to the i mark, see if the mark on the spica pulley lines up with the mark on the spica pump body. It can be 180 out.

Well the spica is out of time. What would cause it to jump time? Bad belt?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Worn belt, stretched belt, worn out pulley, if when you timed it originally you cranked too hard to tighten the pulley nut and made it skip and extra tooth or 2. It's also possible that the cog section on the engine pulley could be worn out as well.

How far out is the timing?

·
Registered
1973 Spider 2L
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Worn belt, stretched belt, worn out pulley, if when you timed it originally you cranked too hard to tighten the pulley nut and made it skip and extra tooth or 2. It's also possible that the cog section on the engine pulley could be worn out as well.

How far out is the timing?
The car has 55k miles I'll replace the belt. I doubt it was a installation problem because I've put 50 miles and alot of idling on it with no problems. How do I check if the pulleys are ok? The timing mark lined up when the number 4 piston was half way up the exhaust stroke.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The car has 55k miles I'll replace the belt. I doubt it was a installation problem because I've put 50 miles and alot of idling on it with no problems. How do I check if the pulleys are ok? The timing mark lined up when the number 4 piston was half way up the exhaust stroke.
I'd imagine there's a good reference for the depth of the teeth out there somewhere. I could measure mine, but I don't have access to it until Monday. Though I feel like it's most likely not going to be a pulley. It's probably pretty seldom they wear out.

·
Registered
1973 Spider 2L
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd imagine there's a good reference for the depth of the teeth out there somewhere. I could measure mine, but I don't have access to it until Monday. Though I feel like it's most likely not going to be a pulley. It's probably pretty seldom they wear out.
Alright I'll throw a belt on. Any chance a parts store carries them under a different vehicle or am I stuck buying alfa.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Alright I'll throw a belt on. Any chance a parts store carries them under a different vehicle or am I stuck buying alfa.
They're only $15 on Centerline and I had no issues with mine. I wouldn't risk buying something from another model. The stretch, or I guess lack there of, the tooth profile, and length have to be just right in order to work properly. Might want to consider getting 2 just in case this happens again, you break a belt during installation, or just to compare. You could try resetting the timing with the current belt and see if it skips again for the time being.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts