Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am selfishly claiming to be the most desperate alfa owner in US. Been working on this prob for over a year. Have a strong fuel odor in trunk , and sometimes it migrates to the cab, here's what Ive done (have taken some advice on this forum, and has helped some, but not there yet!) Have removed the gas tank, drained and dried it, pressurized it and with soap suds, found a pin hole at top where the 2 little elbows orfices are soldered to tank, near the main fuel fill tube. A specialty shop repaired the pin hole. Then while the tank was out, I pressurized it again to check for more leaks with soap, especially around the middle of the tank where the two seams are soldered together . Aparrently, no leaks. OK. Put it in the car. Reseal all around with finger caulk, tedious job, reconnect tubes, tightenclamps, add gas, drive it, and still have about havf of the gas odor occuring! Have removed the hose from the black plastic vapor collection box, and added pressure, and resprayed with soap on hoses, fuel filler hose connections, etc. CANT FIND THE LEAK. This may be a clue: when I place my entire head in trunk very close to fuel filler hose area, and smell around, odor seems to be concentrated close to that area of trunk, not near the blk plstc vapor collection box. Again, if I presurize tank and spray, NO Bubbles apear. Am I the only one with such a problem? Thank you for trying to send me advice!!
Joe Papa Sr

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hey Joe, welcome to the BB! I had the same problem, and had no idea what it could be. The smell started in the trunk, and worked it's way into the cabin. Next was outside of the car. Thinking I had a serious gas leak, I had my mechanic take a look while the car was in for a new pinion seal. He walked out the door to move the car to the back, and immediately knew the problem. Piece of cork on inside of the gas cap fixed it. Or you could just order a new one. I don't know how the smell gets in the trunk because of a gas cap, but somehow it did for me. Also you could check the emissions equipment.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry to say I have the gas smell in the trunk of my 88 graduate and I don't have an answer for you. Mine is not so strong that I have needed to fix it. If I have not diven it for a while the smell get to the cab. Sounds like you have gone the extra mile with repairing your. I will be watching the posts to see if any one can give you the fix.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Fuel odors has to be one of the more popular subjects for threads on the BB. If you look through older threads, you'll find people that have had varying degrees of success by:

--Replacing the plastic vapor line running from the vapor recovery tank to the engine, or at least checking for blockages and breakages (one likely spot for either is where it goes over the tail pipe; mine melted there, as it drooped from its supports)

--Replacing all rubber fuel lines, both under the trunk and in the engine compartment

--Making sure their trunk is well sealed from outside air, and making sure there is no air leaking from the trunk into the passenger compartment

--Making sure the engine compartment isn't leaking fumes into the passenger compartment

--Tightening hose clamps

--Checking for other leakages in the engine compartment, such as from the filter canister or the Spica pump or Spica hard lines (if Spica equipped)

--Correcting a too-rich mixture

--Making sure a previous owner hadn't mis-routed one or more of the vapor canister hoses

--Making sure the one-way check valve on the vapor system is still working only one way

--Making sure the thin hard line that runs from the plastic vapor line into the inside of the vapor tank, and the thin hard line that runs from the plastic vapor line into the cam cover, are both clear of blockages

--Making sure the fuel level sending unit gasket is intact

And I'm sure I'm forgetting some. And sometimes, even checking all this stuff, the vapors persist. Hopefully not quite as bad.

Reactions: Norseman50

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your time, redspiderveloce, alfa88grad, farace, and tifosi. I should have mentioned I have an 87 spider veloce. From your responses,I think i'm on to something.....What if I replace the charcoal in canister???? Anyone tried this? where can I get some (the right kind) of activated charcoal? Is it replaceable?This may not help, as I get odor buildup after a short trip, and in theory, the canister is for vapor buildup AFTER engine use (or is it?). PS Farace, I'm orig from Hartford! Currently in Fl. Where are you?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Joe Papa Sr said:
Thanks for your time, redspiderveloce, alfa88grad, farace, and tifosi. I should have mentioned I have an 87 spider veloce. From your responses,I think i'm on to something.....What if I replace the charcoal in canister???? Anyone tried this? where can I get some (the right kind) of activated charcoal? Is it replaceable?This may not help, as I get odor buildup after a short trip, and in theory, the canister is for vapor buildup AFTER engine use (or is it?). PS Farace, I'm orig from Hartford! Currently in Fl. Where are you?
Unless the Alfa canister is different than anyone elses in it's design, it is sealed so that you cannot change the charcoal. A new canister should be readily available.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Joe Papa Sr said:
Clinton. My brother currently lives in new london. Small state . nice state.
Joe
New London is a cool town; I'm involved with an arts group there and spend a lot of time there.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
msiert said:
Do a search for the thread "I smell gas"
Specifically "I smell gas!"

Apparently that exclamation point makes all the difference in the world to the search engine. (as quoted without it, you get 0 results)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hi Joe,
When I got my 74 GTV it had the same problem and it irrated the "s t" with me. Everything everyone says I tried and checked until I notice the fuel cap gasket was worn. I replaced it and problem is gone. Check that it may be your problem too.

·
Administrator
18,584 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, esc2064, Ill look at the cap, but I think the rubber gasket is good, since when I pressurized the tank , the pressure held until I unscrewed the cap and Wushhhhhhhhhhhhh. So Cap may not be the prob, but thanks.
Tifosi, I lived in Plattsburgh from 81-88. where are you? And, DB9. I'm in Tpa-St. Pete area. I guess WE have AC working in our car!

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tifosi, I heard of Watertown. Probably as cold as plattsburgh in winter.Keep the alfa free of salty snow! Thanks for response! Joe
Also, to TIPO101, (Jonathan), Thanks for the info on stuck check valve. I'll look for your post for the bulletin. I'm not for absolutely sure it is stuck, but I guess the bulletin will help v much. Thanks again for your invaluable help.
Joe

·
Registered
195 Posts
I haven't even gotten into my Alfa yet, but on my MGB, I can open the charcoal canister. They can be rebuilt with activated charcoal bought from fish/aquarium/pet stores (water filter activated charcoal for aquariums). As you take it apart, there's more than just charcoal in there, and note exactly how it's made. Measure and use exactly the same amount of charcoal, in exactly the same areas (sometimes it's layered between meshes), reassemble, and seal it. should work good as new.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.