Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking to restore my 1975 Alfetta GT Coupe. I've got most of the bits I need and am now looking at stripping the paint off the body.

I'm specifically interested/looking for recommendations for some one who sand blasts (Using Garnet or other appropriate medium) car bodies in Perth Western Australia area.

I've been recommended Western Soda Blasters in Malaga. Has anyone used them or had there vehicles Soda blasted? Your experiences would be a great help to this novice in vehicle restorations.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hey Mark.
Welcome to car retoration.
There are many ways to strip off the paint etc.
maybe you could ask the person who is going to respray the car what he wants and what he thinks is the way to do it.
I personally do it my way,probably the cheapest way,but a lot of time required.All depends how much time and money you have.

Robert

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Time and money are scarce but like most Alfa owners you will always find a bit of both. Cheap sounds good. So you took to your car with paint stripper and a wire brush I assume?

I was hoping to avoid that. I've been quoted about $2K to strip the whole car (Doesn't include primer) by what appears to be a reputable person. I've also been quoted as cheap as $800 and as much as $3K. Didn't have a lot of confidence in the guy who gave me the $800 quote and the $3K was getting a bit high.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hey Mark.
No,I didnt go the paint stripper (acid) way.
I did it with a special wire wheel.
I actually enjoyed it.
I just did it this way and hopefully the painter will like it.He seems impressed.
There are many ways of dooing it.Look on the BB sites and get some ideas.
My personal opinion is still talking to the guy that paints it.Already mentioned.
The way I did it was = a $16.00 Bunnings drill and 2 wire special paint stripping wheels.All done for under $100.I forgot to tell you about the dust it causes= lots.As I said,there are plenty of options,take your pick.

Robert

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
What condition is the existing paint? If it's not cracked or peeling, do you really need to strip it back to metal? You could look at only taking back to metal the areas where rust might be lurking, and just give the bootlid, bonnet, roof etc a good sand. Ask the guys who's going to paint it what he thinks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The paint work is not cracked but thick in areas from multiple coats of paint. Rust well lets see, its in the floor, the spare wheel well, front panels behind the front wheels and around the rear wheel arches and thats just what I know about.

Rightly or wrongly i am currently of the opinion (And this may change) that if I am going to do this I might as well do it right because i don't intend doing it again. My intention was to get the floor (including underside), engine bay, inside the wheel arches, boot and exterior done. I intended not to do the inside of the doors or the internal caveties.

I did speak to the painter and he suggested getting stripping pads from "Coventrys" and get stuck into it. In consideration of Roberts comments and how little it cost him I might start this way and see how far I get. If it all gets to hard than can revert back to the blaster at last resort.

Thanks for your comments

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I would have a look at goldcloverleaf's thread regarding his 116GTV restoration thread and having a look at what akitaman has been doing lately.

Also, up here in Northern New South Wales, arco27 has just had the Giulietta ti sand blasted and I believe he was very happy with the results.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I have restored 2 alfas 1750 &1600 GT Sprint and both times used a heat gun and scraper not that messy and you can get down to metal straight away but each to their own

1 - 8 of 8 Posts